• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The Official Shipping Etiquette Thread

Found these two posts. I can't say I adhere 100% to all of my advice all the time, but to the best of my knowledge I haven't had any shipping damage. I use foam sheets more than bubble wrap lately.

Shipping to Singapore thread, post dated October 2012

I use a fresh corrugated 6x6x6 or 8x8x8 box and brown wet tape. I've seen USPS brand boxes show up torn and broken, flattened, crushed, everthing. USPS boxes are cheap. Some are better than others, but they're still cheap.

Stick to a small cube shape and the box is less likely to be stacked in a pile. If you stay under 10" per side you can ship for lower rates based only on weight. I've shipped a pair of Racing Jackets (Gen1, non folding) in an 8x8x8 box for $3 domestic. I've sent packages to Singapore, Germany, and Australia for less than $10.

Stick to fresh boxes for overseas or longer journeys. Once they've been stressed the cardboard loses a lot of its rigidity. Once they've been folded a few times the flaps won't try to spring open and the box will lose rigidity. Or the flaps won't line up and the box will lose rigidity.

Use a properly designed box. We have packaging engineers for a reason. Boxes with a seam in the center of a face aren't as strong. Boxes with flaps that don't meet flush aren't as strong. Boxes with little to no corrugation and few layers aren't as strong. Boxes small enough to get lost WILL get lost. Boxes with large faces aren't as strong. Don't use too big of a box, but don't use too small of a box. Ideally It should be small enough to be sorted with small parcels, and large enough to never be left behind in a bin or fall between seats. 6x6x6 at minimum.

If in doubt, over tape. If the flaps don't line up straight and there are gaps add tape.

Use a shipping label, even if it's hand written. Don't write directly on the box, the ink is more likely to run if the cardboard gets wet.

Add a minimum of double layer of bubble wrap to the bottom of the package. Wrap the item in at least two layers, place the item into the box such that the wrap around the item is slightly compressed to the sides of the box. Add bubble wrap as needed to achieve tension. Add two layers or more on top. The goal is to fill ALL of the volume of the box so the contents don't shift. If the top flaps bulge slightly press them down so they're square and tape that sucker up. A few bubbles will pop before the item is disturbed, that's the goal of bubble wrap. No need to tape the bubble wrap, there's enough tension to hold it together if you've done it right.

DO NOT USE PACKING PEANUTS. If your box is torn you will lose all shipping support for the item. Sheets of bubble wrap will stay in place.

USPS international carries a minimum insurance. You don't always need to buy additional insurance.

The US Customs form has a tracking number. Normal tracking won't work in many instances, but the US Customs tag will be able to track items stuck at customs.

Don't ship to shady people. May be a bit odd, but I try to not do international business with people who aren't established on a forum for any item worth over $100. They may try to burn you, they may not be willing to work with you on delays and issues, not worth the hassle.

Another from 'Tips for selling on here' February 2013
Price a little higher than what you were going to ask, then include shipping and fees. For some reason someone will be more likely to buy a pair for $80 shipped than $75 plus shipping.

I wrote a small guide in a thread somewhere on packaging, but it'll take too long to find it so I'll just rehit the bullet points; These are my tips for good results shipping domestic and international. I have a shipping department at work I use supplies from, so I'm a bit spoiled. I'll admit I'd do a far less thorough job if I had to pay for all this stuff.

-Use NEW cardboard, or quality used boxes. New boxes will resist crushing better and hold the seams better

-Go for a cube shape. Wide, flat boxes will get stacked in a pile with heavier items and the wide panels won't resist crushing as well. 6"x6"x6" minimum size, 8"x8"x8" will work for most pairs or multiple items. Big enough to not get lost easily, small enough it won't get charged for the next size group and won't get put in with larger, heavier boxes.

-Use bubble wrap, peanuts can shift. Crumpled paper will not give as much if crushed, and will shift. Larger bubbles are better.

-Line the box with 1-2 layers of bubble wrap in the bottom. Wrap the item in bubble wrap and place in the box. Cover and loosely pack with additional ~2 layers. The idea is to remove as much dead air not trapped in the bubbles so the item is fully supported and protected on all sides. The bubbles will flex and distort to absorb impacts if dropped when layered. DO NOT leave empty space in the box. Bubble wrap is light and cheap, so stuff it in there!

-Ship USPS. One pair in a small cube box with bubble wrap will cost under $10 to ship, even Priority. I insure and get delivery confirmation for anything over $50. First Class International isn't any more than Priority Domestic in most cases.

-Use shipping labels! Writing on the cardboard is harder to read, and will bleed if it gets wet.

-Tape it well! I can't tell you how many people have sent me stuff that is in boxes that you can get your hands into. Not that anything's been stolen, but dirt and water and whatever else can get in.

Its best to type out your shipping label. And tape it on the box. If it type out, It is not going be hard to read. Alway take picture of your box all type out and of shipping reciepts after you ship. You wont ever lose a picture in your cell.

If your going sell something ship it out same day or next day. If you cant ship your item out in 1 to 2 day then dont sell!!

I'm guessing the paper towel part was about me, lol. But i only use the good ones brotha, triple ply!

Actually is was not, it was however a XS I bought of eBay from a seller real cheap, that wrapped it in paper towels, dirty bubble wrap with sand in it and stuffed it in a cereal box. When I got it the lenses were trashed and the seller told me I should be happy because he realized afterward the frames sell for much more. Needless to say I sent him the unboxing video along with negative feedback.

Found these two posts. I can't say I adhere 100% to all of my advice all the time, but to the best of my knowledge I haven't had any shipping damage. I use foam sheets more than bubble wrap lately.

Shipping to Singapore thread, post dated October 2012

Another from 'Tips for selling on here' February 2013

Thanks for locating this!!!!

People on ebay really do need this I got a set of lenses the other day in a standard envelope. Luckily there was no damage though.

They way I ship my stuff around the globe

German Post, international large letter, can be a box LxWxH max. 90cm.
up to 500gr. € 3.45 (good for three - four pairs depending on weight)
up to 1000gr. € 7.00
plus
priority option € 4.30 plus tax € 0.82 (includes tracking, trackable via USPS site or mobile Apps).

Converted to USD:
$ 11.85 up to 500gr.
$ 16.74 up to 1000gr.

Normally I prefer a box in box solution with extra padding.

Direct link (URL: replace XXX with your tracking ID)
USPS:
USPS.com® - USPS Tracking™
FedEx: Track your package or shipment with FedEx Tracking
DHL Global: Tracking, Track Parcels, Packages, Shipments | DHL Express Tracking

An actual parcel on the way to the US:

86rdb5el.png

A parcel on it's way to California (6000 miles):

azhipx9q.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back