• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

"The One That Got Away" Thread

My "one that got away" was a C-Six Carbon at retail when they first came out. I fell in love with that frame before I even saw it in person. I had just gotten back from Iraq and had saved up a good bit of deployment money and headed to Vegas. I spotted a pair in the O store there and had a hard time not walking away with them. I just couldn't justify to myself dropping that much on a pair of sunglasses at the time. I sure wanted them, but I resisted. If I could go back, I would buy them in a heartbeat. I've been on the hunt for a decently priced pair ever since.

Wasn't an earth-shattering deal by any means, but wish I had paid closer attention to it. Was a listing for 5 metal stands, 3 doubles and 2 singles, that wasn't word/advertised great. Got the 5-minute to end notifier but got distracted. Ended up going for $37 including shipping.

When I first got in to Oakley's my main concern was to collect all 3 science fuel cells I watched the white with chrome lenses go for just over 75 on the bay bnib if that came up now I'd bid like crazy ha last one I've seen on the bay. That set are my grail for sure!

There was a Romeo 1 posted on CL a couple hours from me for $300. Excellent shape on the frame and rubbers but the normal spider cracks on lenses. I emailed the seller right away to verify their authenticity and find out what all came with it, and he responded late at night. Right away in the morning I was all set to email him and commit to buying if we could work out shipping, and I get an email from him that his "wife found out what he was selling them for and told me I had to do $400". Said he'd gotten several emails on them and it was first come, first served. I emailed him back and told him that seemed pretty shady but I'd offer the original $300 (pointing out the lenses, possible tune-up, etc. that might cost a couple hundred bucks). Never heard from him and listing was removed a couple hours later.

Later that day he pops up here in the Deals & Steals thread (must have done a web search to get more info and stumbled across here) trying to sell them for $650. That post was quickly removed. He's now got them relisted on CL for $675 and they've been on there for a week or so now.

A particular online sports website (m&m sports) used to sell last seasons Oakley clothing and gear for pretty cheap prices. I have bought many things off them throughout the years and had used it all until it was worn out as I was a fan but not a collector at the time.

Anyway I saw that they had some Oakley boots on there which were Kevlar and looked pretty cool and they were only £10!! I thought I would buy some and when they came I loved them. I wore them all the time and pretty much wore them out.

Fast forward to me joining the forum and realising that the boots were the shoe ones and are pretty rare and collectable now, let alone worth a fair bit so I was seriously kicking myself for not buying a few pairs for £10 at the time!!
At least you bought them,, I remember looking at them on their catalogue and thinking "nah they aren't that comfy" should of just bought them and stuck them in a cupboard!
R1's, Juliets and xx a plenty where I worked, (and OTT's) even with staff discount and knowing a rep I never pulled the trigger as I was getting my first mortgage, fell out with owners and left. Hindsight is a great thing isn't it?!

Back