• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The Progression Of X

I personally believe we will not see another X Metal. I don't think it figures into the future plans of a Lux owned Oakley. I still assert the only reason we saw the Pit Boss and X Squared was because they were in development before Jim sold. And had hard as this might be to believe...I don't think any X Metals will be in production in 10 years
If this is true, my days of an Oakley collector are definitely numbered.

I think the old school collectors will still collect. We just won't have much interest in the new stuff and push the prices of the old stuff higher. Jim Jannard started his new camera company, "Red". A bunch of his cronies jumped ship after Luxottica took over so i doubt any of the original designers are still there. Hopefully Oakley/Luxottica will bring on some new designers with a eye for the styling of the old days and make something we can all appreciate again.

SpliceD knows his O. :) I wondered what JJ was doing these days.
Hopefully, someone in that huge O HQ is someone old school and will appreciate what got Oakley where it is today.

And true to form, RED has followed much of the innovative arc Oakley did to the extent that Peter Jackson is using all RED cameras for The Hobbit films. It's pretty hard to replace drive and creativity like that, but either way, I agree that those of us who love the Metal line will continue to collect....maybe more so if it starts to drop off the radar

so i doubt any of the original designers are still there.

They're still there. The guys that go all that way back that designed stuff like the original zero, X-men visor and glasses, monster dog, time bomb and stuff are still there designing. they have designed current stuff like the C Six, x squared, Time Bomb II, minute machine, Gearbox e.c

They're still there. The guys that go all that way back that designed stuff like the original zero, X-men visor and glasses, monster dog, time bomb and stuff are still there designing. they have designed current stuff like the C Six, x squared, Time Bomb II, minute machine, Gearbox e.c
They need to give them more projects and let them work their imagination! LOL

They still have a lot of free reign and are leading the design group. certainly not as much as before when the business was starting to really boom but they are still putting out useless and cool stuff to let their imagination run wild. An example is the designer of the Cyclops visor and the x squared designed the robotic angel at the Covent Garden O Store. they have some good stuff in the works but I do not think we will ever feel the same excitement as it was back in the late 1990s and early 2000s. It was just magic back then and the reality is some times lightening just does not strike twice.

Back