• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The X Metal Frame Finish Thread And Poll

Favorit All Time X Metal Finish

• Carbon

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Polished Carbon

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • X Metal

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Titanium

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • 24K (old gen)

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • 24K (new gen)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TIO2

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Polished

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Plasma

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm not sure with the TiO2 stems and flex coupler. It seems a darker color than X-Metal. I could be totally wrong though. I'm just judging from pics I've seen.

Quick question for those with the Ichiro Polished Juliet with Slate Emerald: were those serialized? Other than the lens with the Ichiro 51 etching was there any way of telling them apart from a regular hammerstemmed polished Juliet?

I'm not sure with the TiO2 stems and flex coupler. It seems a darker color than X-Metal. I could be totally wrong though. I'm just judging from pics I've seen.

Quick question for those with the Ichiro Polished Juliet with Slate Emerald: were those serialized? Other than the lens with the Ichiro 51 etching was there any way of telling them apart from a regular hammerstemmed polished Juliet?

It's always looked darker to me too. Maybe that's on early gen X Metal finishes (which I still think are darker) or just due to the contrast with the Plasma it LOOKS darker...I've also found (as I think BriP noted a while ago) you can take 10 pictures of X Metal and it look 10 different ways.

And yes, Ichiro's were serialed. Ichiro frames were always serialed with "IS" at the beginning.

The orbitals on the 24k's are titanium, not plasma. The full name that appeared in dealer catalogs was "X METAL XX 24K Titanium/24K Iridium (04-122)"

As far as plasma I like the finish, and there is really nothing more durable or flexible as far as lens options. There is a reason why it outsells every other option by a large margin. I do like the old champagne color more thought. A very unique silver with a touch of gold coming through.

Can someone point me to where I can see the differences between the old and new Plasma?

Do an eBay search "Oakley Juliet Ice Blue Polarized"...you'll see a listing that involves a gen 1 Plasma. .....those pictures REALLY show the difference in the color then vs. now. You also can see the finish issue in those pictures even though this pair is described as being stored not worn (though I find that suspect given the condition of the rubber).

The orbitals on the 24k's are titanium, not plasma. The full name that appeared in dealer catalogs was "X METAL XX 24K Titanium/24K Iridium (04-122)"

As far as plasma I like the finish, and there is really nothing more durable or flexible as far as lens options. There is a reason why it outsells every other option by a large margin. I do like the old champagne color more thought. A very unique silver with a touch of gold coming through.

This explains the color difference...I see the description says "Titanium Dioxide" although presumably that's different than Titanium because I own a first and third gen titatium and neither are even close to the orbitals on my XX 24K...the closest they come to is my third generation plasma.

Can someone point me to where I can see the differences between the old and new Plasma?

i don't have a new plasma Juliet, but i do have a plasma Half X, and it looks pretty dull.
My plasma Juliets are like yours, 2004ish w/o serial, and they are lighter, some may call this shade champagne gold.

Juliet 2004 plasma on the left compared to Half X 2008 plasma

img0225o.jpg

its the same x-metal nose bridge (except for the polished rivets) and ear stems on the TiO2.

here's a pic of my TiO2 and X Metal

img0230w.jpg

My Plasma Juliet looks almost exactly like my Titanium Penny in shading. The Juliet is just a shade darker. Barely noticeable unless under extreme scrutiny. LOL

Man. Seeing that TiO2 makes me giddy with excitement for tomorrow when it should be arriving in the mail. :D

Back