• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Thinking out loud about X Metals...

Tickford

Oakley Beginner
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Hi guys.

One thing's been on my mind recently that I thought I’d bring to the table to chat about. As everyone here is acutely aware of, as the years progress the ability to service, maintain & restore our beloved X Metals with original parts is becoming profoundly more difficult as supplies of OEM/Genuine parts dry up.

Not so long-ago Nissan/Nismo identified this issue with its cult classic GTR's, stepped in with a plan and recommenced the manufacturing of original parts. The thought process behind this being that they identified the significance of the overall product, and no longer wanted to be a spectator to the epic price gouging of the few NOS genuine parts left in existence. Ultimately ensuring access to parts to owners for accessible prices and keeping their legacies on the road to be enjoyed.

I wonder if any of the Oakley boffins have ever had similar contemplations. X Metals being a product cemented into the history of the company and a legacy worth nurturing, so that they can be enjoyed long into the future (with factory support).

Imagine having access to Genuine Oakley Prism or Prism Polarised lenses for all the X Metal derivatives. Nose bombs, ear socks, temple shocks, screws, pins, gaskets...... etc.

Surely at the very least, there would be a financial argument to be made.

Assuming Oakley themselves never manifest this on their own accord, how just a man could ever give enough momentum to the concept that Oakley would ever take notice... I have no idea. Another thought for another day.

Anyway, if you've made it this far, I appreciate you & hope this all made some kind of sense to someone. It was nice to get out of my head and into words.

Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
Sadly, other have done what Oakley should’ve done, which is manufacture new parts for our X-metals. Guys like OXM and Zach have made their own parts, and made them available to us. They might not be Oakley. But they’re made only for Oakley X-metals. And thankfully guys like these are still around. But they won’t stick around if we don’t support them. I’ll buy OEM if/when they start making them again.

Yes I like your thoughts. Honda/ Acura having the same kinda program. Where you can send like your 93 nsx in . And they will make it brand new again.
Porsche does the same thing. Porsche buy‘s back every 993 they can get their Hands on. They refurbish them to like new condition and sell them to their premium Customers.

I try to refurbish myself with OEM, but parts are getting hard to find 🤭opps I said hard.

They want to sell new, whole glasses.
If we thought Lux was disinerested in supporting Metals, Essilor is even moreso.
I know, there's a pile of money that it could simply bend over and pick-up if it cared.

Yes I like your thoughts. Honda/ Acura having the same kinda program. Where you can send like your 93 nsx in . And they will make it brand new again.
Yes for $140K USD which is about double MSRP and the car has to make it to Japan.

Back