• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Thoughts on hogan

OK, once upon a time I was all ragin' against super-sensitive PC and people getting fired for a single insensitive comment, etc... Stop making such a big deal about it.

There were a couple of arguments for that position - one, offensive comments are offensive only if you let them be. If somebody dropped the N word (at least in a non-discriminatory context) and nobody cared, it has no power. Get in an uproar, and all it does is empower it.

Two - it seemed like the backlash was unfair, a violation of freedom of speech, being fired over language. Anti-discriminatory laws are meant to provide equal opportunity for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. But there's no "right" to not have anything offend you...

I feel differently these days, though. I still believe that if, one day, "racist" content, such as joking about stereotypes, isn't used in a discriminatory, repressive manner and nobody cares, it no longer will be an issue. But, who am I to say how it should be taken? I'm a white male, and my entire life experience has been as such. Despite whatever I've been exposed to about other peoples' experiences, I don't truly know what it's like to grow up as a minority in certain environments; I have no firsthand experience. So basically I should shut the **** up and give the opinions on those raised under such conditions some respect.

The other part, about the backlash, there was a specific turning point for me - I read an essay from a legal scholar on the subject. I didn't agree with his POV going into it, but I actually read it and considered his points, which were quite valid.

Basically, it's not a violation of freedom of speech, it's actually another expression of it. People have every right to say what they want, and others have every right to protest it. This country was founded on protest, and protest has often driven change.

Aside from inciting to violence, there's no laws (in this country, at least) prohibiting racist comments. You don't get thrown in jail or given a civil fine. The companies who fire these people aren't under any legal obligation to do so. It has nothing to do with the government.

They get fired because of economics; the companies are afraid the backlash will hurt business. So society is self-policing itself through peaceful protest. Whether or not one agrees with the issue, the system is fair.

Sure, many of us have made private comments; Hogan's comments were private, it's not like he did an on-air rant. But that's just one of the things about being a public figure - whether the comments were originally public or private, if they come out, it will hurt you. Part of the price of celebrity.

In summary...
1 - It'd be nice if "racist" comments no longer had any impact, but the truth is they still do to some people and you gotta respect that.
2 - Public backlash may sometimes seem extreme, but it's fair and free expression. Better than the alternatives...

OK, once upon a time I was all ragin' against super-sensitive PC and people getting fired for a single insensitive comment, etc... Stop making such a big deal about it.

There were a couple of arguments for that position - one, offensive comments are offensive only if you let them be. If somebody dropped the N word (at least in a non-discriminatory context) and nobody cared, it has no power. Get in an uproar, and all it does is empower it.

Two - it seemed like the backlash was unfair, a violation of freedom of speech, being fired over language. Anti-discriminatory laws are meant to provide equal opportunity for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. But there's no "right" to not have anything offend you...

I feel differently these days, though. I still believe that if, one day, "racist" content, such as joking about stereotypes, isn't used in a discriminatory, repressive manner and nobody cares, it no longer will be an issue. But, who am I to say how it should be taken? I'm a white male, and my entire life experience has been as such. Despite whatever I've been exposed to about other peoples' experiences, I don't truly know what it's like to grow up as a minority in certain environments; I have no firsthand experience. So basically I should shut the **** up and give the opinions on those raised under such conditions some respect.

The other part, about the backlash, there was a specific turning point for me - I read an essay from a legal scholar on the subject. I didn't agree with his POV going into it, but I actually read it and considered his points, which were quite valid.

Basically, it's not a violation of freedom of speech, it's actually another expression of it. People have every right to say what they want, and others have every right to protest it. This country was founded on protest, and protest has often driven change.

Aside from inciting to violence, there's no laws (in this country, at least) prohibiting racist comments. You don't get thrown in jail or given a civil fine. The companies who fire these people aren't under any legal obligation to do so. It has nothing to do with the government.

They get fired because of economics; the companies are afraid the backlash will hurt business. So society is self-policing itself through peaceful protest. Whether or not one agrees with the issue, the system is fair.

Sure, many of us have made private comments; Hogan's comments were private, it's not like he did an on-air rant. But that's just one of the things about being a public figure - whether the comments were originally public or private, if they come out, it will hurt you. Part of the price of celebrity.

In summary...
1 - It'd be nice if "racist" comments no longer had any impact, but the truth is they still do to some people and you gotta respect that.
2 - Public backlash may sometimes seem extreme, but it's fair and free expression. Better than the alternatives...
Hey buddy, this is oakleyforum.com not tokenwhiteguy.com

Regarding personal use of the N word, not for 25 years or so.

You'd think growing up a white guy in the South, that'd come with the territory, right? No, didn't use it growing up. It was this one brief period in High School that I started to use it a bit, not in an (intentionally) discriminatory manner but as a reference. BTW, High Schoolers are dumbasses...

So then once time I'm riding in a car with some friends, one of which was black. I'm saying something or other and start to use that word when I suddenly realize who's in the car with me. I get it halfway out and then literally choke on the "g"; you hear about people choking on their words but as an expression; this was literal - that "g" stuck in my throat, stopped the airway, caused a gag; whatever I was saying came to a screeching halt.

I never knew if she realized what I almost said; there was no reaction at the time. But I've never used it again since.

never used it because I have a maniacal mother who would have torn my behind up. I have always gotten crazy looks when I used curse words; the world would stop if I used the N word LOL.

Also, the word sounded so dumb to me (growing up as a nerd)

The same "liberties" that allow you to march around in cutoff shorts and rainbow flags are the same the KKK is afforded. Whether or not I believe in your position, I respect your right to express your views. Thats why this doesnt bother me so much.

What gets me upset, and Its sure to piss a lot of people off, but where was the ACLU when Levi Pettit was expelled from a University for saying the word. Surely his civil liberties were violated. If I was that kid Id be suing the **** out of the University of Oklahoma.

never used it because I have a maniacal mother who would have torn my behind up. I have always gotten crazy looks when I used curse words; the world would stop if I used the N word LOL.

Also, the word sounded so dumb to me (growing up as a nerd)
"maniacal mother" :rofl: and you should have seen my mom hit my friends with a mop stick when they acted up. It was hilarious...... try that **** now? Forget it.

Back