• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Time Bomb Question

I've never heard that one before.

@shofzr? @Carrera1963?
It only really applies to older, complicated mechanical watches, in particular perpetual calendars, where changing the date at a certain time could cause a gear clash. Shouldn't be a problem in anything more recent than the end of the 60s, though if I had a Patek Perpetual I might shy away from forcing a date change outside of when it wanted to do it itself.

Off topic but possibly useful. Do you have to set the watch at 6:00 in order to change the date so it doesn't wear the gears down? Or is that an old myth? Or did it only apply to older watches?

Can't remember exact specifics but the date counter of some automatics (not sure if all hence "some") tend to lock when you change during night time (I believe between 10pm - 2am) and it is advisable to change the date outside of that time period.

I bought my TB Mk I and noticed that it wasn't holding a decent charge.

Just sent it to these guys in the UK who will do a complete clean and refit of the capacitors: Oakley Timebomb | Seiko Kinetic Repair's UK

Could be the solution you're looking for. I spoke to John on the phone and found him to be very approachable. :)

Back