• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Time to stop collecting Oakleys?

Maybe I am alone, but I think I am ready to stop collecting Oakleys. I might have this addiction beat! I have been getting the run around a lot lately with Oakley Canada on orders (mostly gifts for others), getting tired of dealing with people selling the used Oakleys I am after (x-metals and wires), etc. I want to point out that I don't mean buying used Oakleys from this site because people are normal on here (mostly ;)). I feel that shopping for the Oakleys I want is time consuming and often a complete waste because of moronic sellers. I think I am just frustrated by a lot of terrible sellers I have dealt with lately because there have been some great ones in the past. I am happy with the Oakleys I have now and the only one I feel that I need to add at some point is a Mars. After talking and dealing with Oakley employees, I am almost embarrassed to own so many of their products. Walking into the local Sunglass Hut and seeing the prices on all the plastic Oakleys makes me wonder how they get away with selling for such high prices. The brand has taken a big step backwards in my eyes. I think this is step one of me quitting my addiction to Oakley. Thanks for reading my rant. I will still stick around, but I am closing my wallet so don't tempt me to buy anything, except maybe that elusive Mars :grin:
There is a time and a season for everything ...

I think I'm at a similar crossroads for several reasons. First and foremost really is the brand simply doesn't put out new product I want to buy and their pricing is simply out-of-control. Whatever they think the target demo is for the product they're producing, clearly I'm not it. That goes hand in hand with the second reason which is as I get older, I've become more selective. I think into my late-30's my tastes and likes have fully solidified and I know what I love, what I like and what I don't- and I almost never buy what I don't love even if the price is killer...though a truly killer price on a like will sometimes tip me towards a purchase (such as $200 BNIB Rust Decay Fuel Cells, $125 BNIB Ferrari Badmans or $85 BNIB SW Holbrooks-the last of which I put on my Christmas list for my GF because I don't like it enough to buy myself but I know she'd like it on me and I'd appreciate it as a gift). Thirdly, I think a person can only like so many things or own so many variations of something they like and after collecting so much, you've collected pretty much all there is you actually want (and as I noted at the start, if new product isn't being produced that catches your fancy...then collecting slows down). And finally, for some reason I find myself wanting to just save money or say pay off my car loans vs. buying more Oakley's; and the irony of that is that I'm at a stage in my life where for the first time I can truly buy whatever I want within reason but the desire to do so seems to have worn off substantially. Some of this might have to do with having my son coming into the twilight of his kid years at 9 years old, having a defacto and future wife again and a near 60 hour a week every week of the year career- time goes to those and leaves little room for hobbies. At this point, unless the brand surprises with future releases, I pretty much just keep my eye on eBay and here for some older more special edition pieces/unique pieces I wouldn't mind adding to the collection...but I don't actively hunt really...it's a more passive collecting experience now. And frankly? It's more enjoyable to that end- the casual and laid back nature of it does more for me.

This hasn't just been with Oakley for me either- I've unloaded a huge portion of my shoe collection keeping only the very best, for much the same reasons. And some money goes to other collections- like Invicta who seems to come out with at least a model or two a year I want to own a variation of....vs. Oakley which doesn't (back to that no new product topic).

So to the OP's point- but for some differing reasons- I get where he's coming from and for each of us there might be a certain combo of reasons that lead us down the path of collecting less (if at all).

I think I'm at a similar crossroads for several reasons. First and foremost really is the brand simply doesn't put out new product I want to buy and their pricing is simply out-of-control. Whatever they think the target demo is for the product they're producing, clearly I'm not it. That goes hand in hand with the second reason which is as I get older, I've become more selective. I think into my late-30's my tastes and likes have fully solidified and I know what I love, what I like and what I don't- and I almost never buy what I don't love even if the price is killer...though a truly killer price on a like will sometimes tip me towards a purchase (such as $200 BNIB Rust Decay Fuel Cells, $125 BNIB Ferrari Badmans or $85 BNIB SW Holbrooks-the last of which I put on my Christmas list for my GF because I don't like it enough to buy myself but I know she'd like it on me and I'd appreciate it as a gift). Thirdly, I think a person can only like so many things or own so many variations of something they like and after collecting so much, you've collected pretty much all there is you actually want (and as I noted at the start, if new product isn't being produced that catches your fancy...then collecting slows down). And finally, for some reason I find myself wanting to just save money or say pay off my car loans vs. buying more Oakley's; and the irony of that is that I'm at a stage in my life where for the first time I can truly buy whatever I want within reason but the desire to do so seems to have worn off substantially. Some of this might have to do with having my son coming into the twilight of his kid years at 9 years old, having a defacto and future wife again and a near 60 hour a week every week of the year career- time goes to those and leaves little room for hobbies. At this point, unless the brand surprises with future releases, I pretty much just keep my eye on eBay and here for some older more special edition pieces/unique pieces I wouldn't mind adding to the collection...but I don't actively hunt really...it's a more passive collecting experience now. And frankly? It's more enjoyable to that end- the casual and laid back nature of it does more for me.

This hasn't just been with Oakley for me either- I've unloaded a huge portion of my shoe collection keeping only the very best, for much the same reasons. And some money goes to other collections- like Invicta who seems to come out with at least a model or two a year I want to own a variation of....vs. Oakley which doesn't (back to that no new product topic).

So to the OP's point- but for some differing reasons- I get where he's coming from and for each of us there might be a certain combo of reasons that lead us down the path of collecting less (if at all).
Many of these comments are very well said and a very interesting view into the collecting mindset ... although new to the board I'm a daily wearer of Oakley for almost 20 years and I concur that very little in the current catalog excites me for daily wear. Which is why I have four pair of Straight Jackets of various vintage that get regular rotation plus a pair of Twentys that are dear to me - I was married in them... they all fit well and the view through the lens is superb. But as a newbie turning 60 in a couple of weeks I still love rocking the classic look of Oakley ... AND I'm learning of frames I didn't know existed and would very much like to experience. So I guess I'm somewhat on the front end of the whole deal re: you more seasoned chaps.

I am going to say it, Oakley SUCKS! I just received all my Christmas orders and Oakley did not give me the 40% discounts on the Frogskins for my son and She's Unstoppable for my wife. They quoted me the 40% off prices over the phone and then charged my card the regular price once they shipped. They also didn't include the A Wire 2.0 earsocks they said would be free, or give me free shipping on the 2 Big Kitchen backpacks I ordered separately. They do not reply to e-mails and its impossible to get through to them on the phone, not that it seems to matter because they say one thing on the phone and then do another. Looks like I will have to contact my credit card company. I am never buying anything from oakley.ca again!

I am going to say it, Oakley SUCKS! I just received all my Christmas orders and Oakley did not give me the 40% discounts on the Frogskins for my son and She's Unstoppable for my wife. They quoted me the 40% off prices over the phone and then charged my card the regular price once they shipped. They also didn't include the A Wire 2.0 earsocks they said would be free, or give me free shipping on the 2 Big Kitchen backpacks I ordered separately. They do not reply to e-mails and its impossible to get through to them on the phone, not that it seems to matter because they say one thing on the phone and then do another. Looks like I will have to contact my credit card company. I am never buying anything from oakley.ca again!
That's sad ... good luck getting everything right.

Thanks. Oakley Canada is now using the same toll free phone number as Oakley USA so now I have to deal with people in California. Damn Yankees :p

Thanks. Oakley Canada is now using the same toll free phone number as Oakley USA so now I have to deal with people in California. Damn Yankees :p
Took me a hour to get over my last call to Cally support people ... all over shipping wrong nosebombs. I really lament to lack of consistent customer ... I know you get everything worked out ... keep it

I'm starting to think you have crappy Oakley luck.

Of any company I've dealt with, Oakley customer service has been the best by far. Super fast phone pickup, eager to help, and often get complementary little goodies when needed.

Back