• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Time Travel Looks To Be Possible.

I figured this could be a fun topic since there seems to be a couple intellectual individuals on the forums. Time travel is a very real thing that has already been accomplished on a minute scale by a Russian cosmonaut Sergei Krikalev. He spent 800+ days aboard the space station moving roughly 17,000 miles per hour and upon coming back the very precise and accurate clocks they use were all .02 seconds slower. Now if you can increase speed to close to the speed of light (sounds easy enough, lol) and circumnavigate the milky way for instance it is a journey of about 150 light years. So when you leave your family knows it will take you 1,500,000 years (edited for math error) before your return. Moving at the speed of light 150 light years takes about 23 years to do. So you will spend 23 years in a ship traveling at the speed of light but upon your return it will now be 1,500,000 years into the future. It's absolutely amazing! The calculation relies on Einstein's Theories of Relativity which state that the passage of time is relative, and different, for two objects moving at different speeds or experiencing different levels of gravity. And to clarify, I know this is not actually called Time Travel but instead called Time Dilation, but would you have been as excited to read this post if I used the word Time Dilation instead? probably not.

With advancements in physics via the Hadron Collider, I can see us actually getting closer to the speed of light :neo: within the next 100 - 200 years possibly. Look how far we've come in the past 100 years and that was starting with basically no technology. From what I have gathered over the years is it would take high levels of anti-matter colliding with matter in order to produce untold amounts of high-energy which could essentially be used as thrust. To think we are on the edge of this technology is inspiring and makes me only hope I am alive to witness its fruition.

But to know that Time Travel into the future has already been done (through Time Dilation) is astonishing and proves it is possible. This kind of stuff is what keeps me up for 2 days in a row with no sleep.

Last edited:
Moving at the speed of light 150 light years takes about 23 years to do.
facepalm_227785.jpg

Aside from this, your math doesn't add up elsewhere.

But yes, the thought of what we may accomplish and learn within my lifetime (perhaps the next 50 years?) is staggering. The thought of our reality being bent and manipulated, and that it may possible, is mind-bending.

And the realization that the USA is no longer the leader in this field is painful.

Whoa, looking back I reread what I posted. I know that there is no direct relation to light years and physical years. A light year is a measure if distance and a typical year on Earth is measured in time. They are completely different things which I am aware of, but I remember hearing the closest match is just over 10,000 Earth years to equate to a light year. I accidentally was writing from my hip and multiplied by 1,000 years, not 10,000, DERP! lol

A more accurate equation of time would be 1.5 million years, not 150,000 .... Besides, that mistake. What else do you see as an issue. Thanks for pointing that out. Sometimes I write faster than my brain thinks.

And I agree, the USA is not #1 anymore like people still try and tell themselves, unless you're talking about prison population per capita and things like murder.

Update, I just did a quick Google search to find the math on the subject:

1 ly =
300 000 km/second * 86400 second/day * 365.25 day/year =
9467280000000 km/year =
9.46728 x 10^12 km/year

Now, we can estimate the distance that the earth travels in 1 year. Since the eccentricity of the earth's orbit around the sun is so small, we can say (for this exercise's purpose) that the earth travels in a circular orbit with a radius of 1AU (149.6 x 10^6 km)

2 x pi x 149.6 x 10^6 km =
298.6 x pi x 10^6 km =
938.07956636191226100494531424726 x 10^6 km =
9.3807957 x 10^8 km

(9.46728 x 10^12 km / year) / (9.3807957 x 10^8 km) =
1.0092193 x 10^4 years

It'd take the earth roughly 10,092 years to travel the distance that light travels in 1 year.

Speaking of actual time travel and not time dilation, could actually going backwards even be a remote possibility. I understand going forwards and how if we had the technology to go faster you can actually "warp" ahead to the future. But I just can't foresee how it could ever by theoretically possible to go backwards. And if so, think about it, we would already know it's possible. The only way I could ever see is if we reach a point where our technology makes it possible however we would need a "receiving door" on the past side. So if we theoretically figure out how to accomplish this in 2100 let's pretend I would think we would need a receiving door that would only allow us to ever travel back to 2100, never further back.

And i base that theory on absolutely nothing. lol. But I would like to hear from others if they can even speculate how this could be possible. And without going to Google! What fun is it if we all just go to Google for answers. This is a conversation best left up to our imagination and minds than just copying and pasting information. Although as I showed in my OP going from memory can lead to miscalculations!

Speaking of actual time travel and not time dilation, could actually going backwards even be a remote possibility. I understand going forwards and how if we had the technology to go faster you can actually "warp" ahead to the future. But I just can't foresee how it could ever by theoretically possible to go backwards. And if so, think about it, we would already know it's possible. The only way I could ever see is if we reach a point where our technology makes it possible however we would need a "receiving door" on the past side. So if we theoretically figure out how to accomplish this in 2100 let's pretend I would think we would need a receiving door that would only allow us to ever travel back to 2100, never further back.

And i base that theory on absolutely nothing. lol. But I would like to hear from others if they can even speculate how this could be possible. And without going to Google! What fun is it if we all just go to Google for answers. This is a conversation best left up to our imagination and minds than just copying and pasting information. Although as I showed in my OP going from memory can lead to miscalculations!
I just want Doc. Emmet Brown to build me a "special" car. :)

Back