• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Timebomb, link pins and polishing

SiRacer420

BWPMF
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
NOLA
I picked up this Timebomb in Dallas a month or so ago for $50. I figured in the worst case I could use it for spare links. The guy said it worked, it just needed new link pins, a couple were broken and one was missing. I stopped in a few watch shops around here but nobody could help. By watch shop, I mean the only places around here that sell watches. If you're not looking for giant gold plated crosses and dollar signs, you're SOL.

So a few days ago I saw these link pins on eBay for $6 shipped from NY. 360Pcs 6mm-23mm Wrist Watch Band Spring Bars Strap Link Pins Remover Repair Tool | eBay

I figured it can't hurt to try. They came in today and BAM! This TB is back in business. I've been wearing it for about 5 hours and so far so good. In a few days I'll know for sure.

The best part is that this one can be worn without worrying about messing it up since it's already got a lot of miles on it. Nothing too bad, just normal wear but now my nice clean TB with serial matched box can stay in the box and stay nice and clean. The MM will also get a rest now.

So the next thing is polishing. This is the Titanium one and I'd like to try to polish out some of the scratches but I don't want it to turn out shiny like the Polished version. Ive read that if I hit it with 000 steel wool it will take out the scratches but will it turn out shiny? Is there any polish compound to use that won't make it bling?

This makes 5 now for a guy that doesn't even collect watches.

IMG_2052.JPG
IMG_2053.JPG
IMG_2054.JPG
IMG_2055.JPG

I picked up this Timebomb in Dallas a month or so ago for $50. I figured in the worst case I could use it for spare links. The guy said it worked, it just needed new link pins, a couple were broken and one was missing. I stopped in a few watch shops around here but nobody could help. By watch shop, I mean the only places around here that sell watches. If you're not looking for giant gold plated crosses and dollar signs, you're SOL.

So a few days ago I saw these link pins on eBay for $6 shipped from NY. 360Pcs 6mm-23mm Wrist Watch Band Spring Bars Strap Link Pins Remover Repair Tool | eBay

I figured it can't hurt to try. They came in today and BAM! This TB is back in business. I've been wearing it for about 5 hours and so far so good. In a few days I'll know for sure.

The best part is that this one can be worn without worrying about messing it up since it's already got a lot of miles on it. Nothing too bad, just normal wear but now my nice clean TB with serial matched box can stay in the box and stay nice and clean. The MM will also get a rest now.

So the next thing is polishing. This is the Titanium one and I'd like to try to polish out some of the scratches but I don't want it to turn out shiny like the Polished version. Ive read that if I hit it with 000 steel wool it will take out the scratches but will it turn out shiny? Is there any polish compound to use that won't make it bling?

View attachment 302232 View attachment 302233 View attachment 302234 View attachment 302235
Congrats!

If you have a problem with charging send to @kronin323

Congrats!

If you have a problem with charging send to @kronin323
Aye I saw his capacitor changing thread (was that his?) I'm sure he'd be happy to do it for me!

I think it'll be ok, it did the 2 second tick for about 2 minutes while I was swinging it around but quickly started ticking one at a time.

Aye I saw his capacitor changing thread (was that his?) I'm sure he'd be happy to do it for me!

I think it'll be ok, it did the 2 second tick for about 2 minutes while I was swinging it around but quickly started ticking one at a time.
Yup. That was his. He knows a guy ;)

View attachment 302232 View attachment 302233 View attachment 302234 View attachment 302235

After the second one your officially a watch collector.

Yeah steel wool. I doubt you'd get it polished but you might make it more satin. The finer the wool, the more satin the finish. Coarser, more brushed. And don't just scrub willy-nilly, attempt to go in a single direction to create a grain.

But to recreate the original "x-metal" dull finish it'd really need to be blasted.

I took it off at midnight and checked it at 6 when I got up, it hadn't stopped. I put it on at 9 and it was still ticking right along. So I guess it's good!

Yeah steel wool. I doubt you'd get it polished but you might make it more satin. The finer the wool, the more satin the finish. Coarser, more brushed. And don't just scrub willy-nilly, attempt to go in a single direction to create a grain.

But to recreate the original "x-metal" dull finish it'd really need to be blasted.
Good idea lol I would have just started scrubbing away at it. Thanks!

congrats on your find - i just bought one myself for £45 ($55)
5b03fdaec5e8b363e2032f66ab56a0cd.jpg

it needs a new capacitor (which i already have) and has a small scuff on the glass which i could probably polish out. does yours have the pads on the back? mine are missing but not to worried by that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

congrats on your find - i just bought one myself for £45 ($55)
5b03fdaec5e8b363e2032f66ab56a0cd.jpg

it needs a new capacitor (which i already have) and has a small scuff on the glass which i could probably polish out. does yours have the pads on the back? mine are missing but not to worried by that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
None of mine have the pads. I've been looking but it's ok without them. The glass on this one is pretty bad but not bad enough that I can't see.

I would pick that up for that price also. Cool that is working out for you and you don't need to be careful while wearing it.