1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Oaks & Dawgs

Oaks & Dawgs Oakley Expert Premium Member

As I progress with my X-Metal collection I've become intrigued by the many color combos I see. They all seem to be referred to as TiO2. I was under the impression that TiO2 meant x-metal stems and nose bridge with plasma orbitals. Then I see the gold combos, black combos, polished rather than plasma, etc.

Is the TiO2 term just used in a general sense to cover any combo? What was original oakley release TiO2? And just what the hell does TiO2 mean or stand for anyway?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

The x-metal / plasma combo you describe is the only "official" TiO2, the only one released by Oakley. The other combos you're seeing are all custom, and people have unofficially, and inaccurately, been referring to two-color combos like those as TiO2.

TiO2 means Titanium Dioxide; the reason why it was used to name this colorway is not officially known, only speculated upon, AFAIK.

EDIT - I should mention there was a similar gold / plasma XX released by Oakley, but it was called 24K, not TiO2...

3. Oaks & Dawgs

I assumed as much but as I see more and more of these other combos I became uncertain.

4. kronin323

It's been a popular custom, either through refinish or parts swap. I have a couple of pairs of Juliets from a parts swap between a Carbon pair and a Plasma pair. I was calling them CO2 / reverse CO2, replacing the Ti with a C for Carbon, but the name didn't catch on. It wasn't technically accurate either, anyway. Then I also have a R2 done in a reverse "TiO2" with carbon and x-metal, a parts swap originally done by another forum member.

But my TiO2 XX is OEM.

supersharp likes this.
  5. kronin323

BTW TiO2 was only released in XX and Juliets, so any other TiO2 frame you see is always a custom, regardless of colors used.

supersharp likes this.
  6. Oaks & Dawgs

The pic on o-review of the penny TiO2 you had recommended looks like it's carbon but it's probably x-metal...just looks dark. Apparently oakley never realeased a carbon penny.

7. kronin323

It would have been the same as the others; that pic is CGI. Moot point since it was never released.

8. THE X-MAN

THE X-MAN Forum Sponsor Gold Forum Sponsor Premium Member Lifetime Member

9. Oaks & Dawgs

I'm definitely gonna have to get @THE X-MAN to hook me up with a black tie juliet

10. THE X-MAN

THE X-MAN Forum Sponsor Gold Forum Sponsor Premium Member Lifetime Member

That one pictured is a regular tio2