• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Tips For Selling On Here? (shipping, Paypal, Etc.)

steveocubed

Oakley Expert
Hey guys,

I was thinking of selling a few of the Oakley's that I haven't been wearing on here but I wanted to make sure I knew exactly what I was doing before I jumped into it. Do you guys have some tips for new sellers here? Specifically, the cheapest while safest/best way to send packages, what method of charging you should do on paypal, if you should include delivery and paypal or not on final prices, tips on packaging, tips on having things go smoothly for the sale, etc. I know some of this will be subjective so your opinions and/or anecdotals are encouraged! Thanks in advance.

Price a little higher than what you were going to ask, then include shipping and fees. For some reason someone will be more likely to buy a pair for $80 shipped than $75 plus shipping.

I wrote a small guide in a thread somewhere on packaging, but it'll take too long to find it so I'll just rehit the bullet points; These are my tips for good results shipping domestic and international. I have a shipping department at work I use supplies from, so I'm a bit spoiled. I'll admit I'd do a far less thorough job if I had to pay for all this stuff.

-Use NEW cardboard, or quality used boxes. New boxes will resist crushing better and hold the seams better

-Go for a cube shape. Wide, flat boxes will get stacked in a pile with heavier items and the wide panels won't resist crushing as well. 6"x6"x6" minimum size, 8"x8"x8" will work for most pairs or multiple items. Big enough to not get lost easily, small enough it won't get charged for the next size group and won't get put in with larger, heavier boxes.

-Use bubble wrap, peanuts can shift. Crumpled paper will not give as much if crushed, and will shift. Larger bubbles are better.

-Line the box with 1-2 layers of bubble wrap in the bottom. Wrap the item in bubble wrap and place in the box. Cover and loosely pack with additional ~2 layers. The idea is to remove as much dead air not trapped in the bubbles so the item is fully supported and protected on all sides. The bubbles will flex and distort to absorb impacts if dropped when layered. DO NOT leave empty space in the box. Bubble wrap is light and cheap, so stuff it in there!

-Ship USPS. One pair in a small cube box with bubble wrap will cost under $10 to ship, even Priority. I insure and get delivery confirmation for anything over $50. First Class International isn't any more than Priority Domestic in most cases.

-Use shipping labels! Writing on the cardboard is harder to read, and will bleed if it gets wet.

Marc2040, BriP, and a few other members can attest that my stuff is packed well!

-Tape it well! I can't tell you how many people have sent me stuff that is in boxes that you can get your hands into. Not that anything's been stolen, but dirt and water and whatever else can get in.

Price a little higher than what you were going to ask, then include shipping and fees. For some reason someone will be more likely to buy a pair for $80 shipped than $75 plus shipping.

I wrote a small guide in a thread somewhere on packaging, but it'll take too long to find it so I'll just rehit the bullet points; These are my tips for good results shipping domestic and international. I have a shipping department at work I use supplies from, so I'm a bit spoiled. I'll admit I'd do a far less thorough job if I had to pay for all this stuff.

-Use NEW cardboard, or quality used boxes. New boxes will resist crushing better and hold the seams better

-Go for a cube shape. Wide, flat boxes will get stacked in a pile with heavier items and the wide panels won't resist crushing as well. 6"x6"x6" minimum size, 8"x8"x8" will work for most pairs or multiple items. Big enough to not get lost easily, small enough it won't get charged for the next size group and won't get put in with larger, heavier boxes.

-Use bubble wrap, peanuts can shift. Crumpled paper will not give as much if crushed, and will shift. Larger bubbles are better.

-Line the box with 1-2 layers of bubble wrap in the bottom. Wrap the item in bubble wrap and place in the box. Cover and loosely pack with additional ~2 layers. The idea is to remove as much dead air not trapped in the bubbles so the item is fully supported and protected on all sides. The bubbles will flex and distort to absorb impacts if dropped when layered. DO NOT leave empty space in the box. Bubble wrap is light and cheap, so stuff it in there!

-Ship USPS. One pair in a small cube box with bubble wrap will cost under $10 to ship, even Priority. I insure and get delivery confirmation for anything over $50. First Class International isn't any more than Priority Domestic in most cases.

-Use shipping labels! Writing on the cardboard is harder to read, and will bleed if it gets wet.

Marc2040, BriP, and a few other members can attest that my stuff is packed well!

-Tape it well! I can't tell you how many people have sent me stuff that is in boxes that you can get your hands into. Not that anything's been stolen, but dirt and water and whatever else can get in.

+10! :thumb:

I've got a background in writing technical manuals for machine installation and operation. The bean counters at Rolls Royce Defense Aerospace gave my stuff their stamp of approval when I was working on the robots to do finish grinding on turbines. Only had to go through about 15 revisions.

I'm told I have a certain eloquence with having an ability to concisely yet completely get the point across.

Here some tips as well: I have sloppy writing so I type and print out peoples address instead of hand writing anything. Also I like to take a picture of the shipping box with the address clearly type out as take a picture of the receipt from the post office showing I ship the package and the tracking number. I alway email my buyers these 2 picture so they know package is on the way. Also remember when selling item $250 and up, you need signature confirmation. Under 250 you just need a tracking number only.

I've got a background in writing technical manuals for machine installation and operation. The bean counters at Rolls Royce Defense Aerospace gave my stuff their stamp of approval when I was working on the robots to do finish grinding on turbines. Only had to go through about 15 revisions.

I'm told I have a certain eloquence with having an ability to concisely yet completely get the point across.

That's a great background. I am usually able to get my point across but I feel like I'm rambling and repeating mysel at times.

Back