• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Tips For Selling On Here? (shipping, Paypal, Etc.)

How do you guys feel about shipping COD for sellers with little to no feedback? I don't mind buying from anyone for $200 or less but it gets a little risky sending anything over that to people with 1, 2 or 0 feedback for selling or buying and since most are fairly new members. I think if people were more willing to sell with COD shipping they would make more sales.

How do you guys feel about shipping COD for sellers with little to no feedback? I don't mind buying from anyone for $200 or less but it gets a little risky sending anything over that to people with 1, 2 or 0 feedback for selling or buying and since most are fairly new members. I think if people were more willing to sell with COD shipping they would make more sales.

I personally do not deal with COD payment. Paypal everything before it is even shipped. it will save you a lot of headaches

Does paypal protect the buyer if the seller is just trying to rip someone off? Can you request a refund from paypal? Don't know enough about paypal to know if they have buyer protection in place. I'd really like to buy a pair of glasses off the classified section but sending someone $600 that I don't know and has no feedback is not something I am willing to do.

Does paypal protect the buyer if the seller is just trying to rip someone off? Can you request a refund from paypal? Don't know enough about paypal to know if they have buyer protection in place. I'd really like to buy a pair of glasses off the classified section but sending someone $600 that I don't know and has no feedback is not something I am willing to do.

Yes there is built in buyer protection (thankfully I have never had to use it, so someone more experienced than I can probably do a better job of explaining it.) That is why there is the 3% fee on transactions. If you do not receive the correct product, you are able to file a claim for a full refund.

I would say its more about how you package the item, shipping in the states is fairly cheap and most the times it is under $20. Use good boxes like the guide before me says, I have received items in ****ty boxes and never bought from the seller again.

Just take care of it as you normally would and you should be fine.

Price a little higher than what you were going to ask, then include shipping and fees. For some reason someone will be more likely to buy a pair for $80 shipped than $75 plus shipping.

I wrote a small guide in a thread somewhere on packaging, but it'll take too long to find it so I'll just rehit the bullet points; These are my tips for good results shipping domestic and international. I have a shipping department at work I use supplies from, so I'm a bit spoiled. I'll admit I'd do a far less thorough job if I had to pay for all this stuff.

-Use NEW cardboard, or quality used boxes. New boxes will resist crushing better and hold the seams better

-Go for a cube shape. Wide, flat boxes will get stacked in a pile with heavier items and the wide panels won't resist crushing as well. 6"x6"x6" minimum size, 8"x8"x8" will work for most pairs or multiple items. Big enough to not get lost easily, small enough it won't get charged for the next size group and won't get put in with larger, heavier boxes.

-Use bubble wrap, peanuts can shift. Crumpled paper will not give as much if crushed, and will shift. Larger bubbles are better.

-Line the box with 1-2 layers of bubble wrap in the bottom. Wrap the item in bubble wrap and place in the box. Cover and loosely pack with additional ~2 layers. The idea is to remove as much dead air not trapped in the bubbles so the item is fully supported and protected on all sides. The bubbles will flex and distort to absorb impacts if dropped when layered. DO NOT leave empty space in the box. Bubble wrap is light and cheap, so stuff it in there!

-Ship USPS. One pair in a small cube box with bubble wrap will cost under $10 to ship, even Priority. I insure and get delivery confirmation for anything over $50. First Class International isn't any more than Priority Domestic in most cases.

-Use shipping labels! Writing on the cardboard is harder to read, and will bleed if it gets wet.

Marc2040, BriP, and a few other members can attest that my stuff is packed well!

-Tape it well! I can't tell you how many people have sent me stuff that is in boxes that you can get your hands into. Not that anything's been stolen, but dirt and water and whatever else can get in.

Thanks for the advice -- it's been a great help so far. Do you have any advice for packaging a single set of lenses? I don't want to put them in a giant box but I think they would get crushed in an envelope. What do you guys do when just shipping lenses?

Thanks for the advice -- it's been a great help so far. Do you have any advice for packaging a single set of lenses? I don't want to put them in a giant box but I think they would get crushed in an envelope. What do you guys do when just shipping lenses?
I think an envelope would be fine. Just make sure you've got a good amount of padding.

The lenses will take the abuse, it's whether or not they come through scratched, gouged, or if there's a retail box involved you want to keep intact.

Back