1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Frankly

Frankly Oakley Beginner

As I stated in the "Introduce yourself", I own a pair of X-Squareds with the X-Metal frames. I was told the frames are made of Titanium. Is this correct?
    Thank You,
    Frankly

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

3. SecretNinja

SecretNinja Oakley Expert

don't get discouraged man, I had a lot of questions when I first jumped aboard. these guys like to teach us the hard way. lol I

motoGP_fanatic likes this.
  4. Slojack

Slojack Oakley Collector Premium Member

5. SecretNinja

if it helps though, I've never seen a frame in the XS made in Titanium. the X Metal finish is the closest
    I've seen. a picture of the SKU would help but, I still think they never made the XS in Titanium. I'm not a pro, so don't take my word for it.

6. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

He's asking if they are made "OF" titanium .....not "IN" titanium finish.

It's an X-Metal ....... ;)

erap likes this.
  7. SecretNinja

Oh...well...that's a given. I'm not responding to that. They are made of Adimantium.

8. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Yeah, actually a Ti alloy instead of pure Ti.

And they liked to confuse us with reuse of names - Titanium was the main component of the alloy, but also one of the finishes. And they called that alloy "x-metal", which they also called the product line, but it was also one of the finishes. And then only frames made at the Nevada factory were considered part of the x-metal product line, yet they made a prescription frame out of the x-metal alloy.

So you had frames made of x-metal that weren't x-metals, and x-metals made of x-metal without an x-metal finish. It's led to a lot of questions... Not to mention the introduction of the "neXt-metals" as x-metals, which have no Ti at all...

BTW the Ti finish was only available for the R1, Juliet, and Penny. But with the R1 and Juliet, Ti had a slight yellowish hue compared to the more silvery plasma finish, but with the Penny, Ti looked like plasma on the other frames. And they didn't release the Penny in plasma, for comparison...

And then Frankly was first responded to by OakleyFrankFMJ, who was once accidentally called OakleyFreakFMJ in confusion with another member known as OakleyFreak. So does that mean he'll next be confused as OakleyFranklyFMJly???

:hi:

9. SecretNinja

You just gave me a headache, dude. And made me dizzy. I'm dumping my collection and switching to the O Matter frames, Thanks to you.

supersharp, CarGuy and kronin323 like this.
  10. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Mission accomplished... :D

supersharp and Funky-Trixtar like this.