• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

To wear or not to wear

Ditto about wear them with care. Carbon is nortorious finish that can flake & peel if you don't take good care of them....

Unless you plan to collect and sell I say wear them. I wear all mine (only 4) and after the first couple of marks you don't really worry much about using them. Scratching lenses still sucks, but that's the same with all of them.

Possible scenarios:

Value goes up. -- Worn or not, great situation! You may sell them and get your money back after wearing them for X amount of time, or make some money selling an unworn pair. Either way, all good.

Value goes down/ stays the same -- you have a mint unworn pair of sunglasses that was kept in a box, much like having a 15 year old betamax tape. OR you could have a well enjoyed pair of sunglasses that although worth less than what you paid for, gave you a lot of joy wearing around in the sun. <~~~ I cant say that about the $$ I invested in a failed pharmaceutical company that wasn't the first to synthesize the drug for bird flu.

Wear 'em.

Really?!? Says who?

It can scratch, but, flake and peel?!? Pics?
Not seen that in any of my 9. The odd scratch, a bit of oxidation, absolutely no flaking or peeling.

Some FYI pics on weird stuff happening with my Carbon Juliet. And no, it's not a fake pair. Maybe I got another factory dud?

DSC_3907.jpg

DSC_3911.jpg

DSC_3916.jpg

DSC_3917.jpg

DSC_3919.jpg

Some FYI pics on weird stuff happening with my Carbon Juliet. And no, it's not a fake pair. Maybe I got another factory dud?

View attachment 152975

View attachment 152976

View attachment 152977

View attachment 152978

View attachment 152979

That looks like scratches / abrasion to me.

BTW @THE X-MAN can refinish those - he can't duplicate OEM carbon exactly but he has a few options that are pretty close. Or you could go in another direction, i.e. x-metal, plasma, TiO2, colors, etc. Unless he makes an exception, though, he has a minimum of two pairs for international orders, but if you have another pair in need of a tuneup then that'll cover it...

It's weird because it started out with a few tiny specks, so I washed/rubbed with mild soap and soft cloth as part of general clean. Then all of a sudden more started to flake off and freaked me out. I can get it refinished but it reminds me to be extra wary with other carbons from the bad experience.

edit: typo

It's weird because it started out with a few tiny specks, so I washed/rubbed with mild soap and soft cloth as part of general clean. Then all of a sudden more started to flake off and freaked me out. I can get it refinished but it reminds me to be extra wary with other carbons from the bad experience.

edit: typo
You might just have been unlucky with that pair, I've not seen that happen on other carbons.

Latest Posts

Back