• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Toothpaste....!

Correct, but just pointing out that it's not a polarization layer as you implied.

Not meaning to get nit-picky or start an argument but... :D

It is a layer. What differs is the bonding process, compared to 3rd party / competitors.

Were it not a layer, it would have to be an innate property of the polycarbonate (such as the UV blocking) and it is not, nor would that even work.

Not meaning to get nit-picky or start an argument but... :D

It is a layer. What differs is the bonding process, compared to 3rd party / competitors.

Were it not a layer, it would have to be an innate property of the polycarbonate (such as the UV blocking) and it is not, nor would that even work.

Nor am i. I'm just pointing out that what you said before as the polarization layer is on the outer-most part of the lens is not 100% correct.

I believe the polarization is the outer layer with those.

I guess it's just semantics, but when you say outer layer, you're implying that the polarization only happens on the topmost layer. To quote Oakley, "We use a precise infusion molding process to produce one comprehensive, single-layered lens. No glue, no sandwiching, no mustard or mayo. Just the clearest Polarized lens you can find."

How they do it is where my knowledge on the matter ends. If you know it, please share. All i know is that it's not a glued on layer like 3rd party / competitors, as you've said.

Again same as you, not trying to rock the boat. Just a friendly discussion.

what you said before as the polarization layer is on the outer-most part of the lens is not 100% correct.

I was only referring to non-iridium polarized lenses. And I haven't been to the factory and seen the process, either...:D all good...

I'm not sure that marketing phrase is 100% accurate, though - I can't find the thread (maybe it was a PM) but I do recall a discussion with IH on how Oakley polarized lenses have changed.

As we know, a lens will have a base tint and an iridium tint, if iridium coated. The base tint is tint-in-base (or some term like that), which basically means it's the actual tinted color of the polycarbonate, all the way through. This was true with both regular and polarized lenses.

If I recall correctly (and the info's still current), this has changed. Regular lenses are still tint-in-base. But polarized lenses no longer are. Instead, the polycarbonate of polarized lenses is now clear, with the base tint being added as a layer before the iridium. The way to tell is to look at unmounted lenses edge on; you'll notice a difference between polar and regular.

Why? I can only speculate - the process they use to fuse the polarization to the polycarbonate is likely expensive and complicated, so it'd be more efficient and/or cost effective to only produce one version of polarized polycarbonate and add whichever base tint you want after the fact than it is to produce polarized versions of all the tint-in-base base tints required.

Bottom line, I still wouldn't use toothpaste or plexi polish on Oakley lenses to remove scratches.... :D

Back