• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Top 5 Favorite Lenses

What is the difference between old and "new"?

Red was more true to being literally red at almost any angle. Now there's a lot of variants that show purple/blue hues when looking at the lens directly from the front, and they seem less aesthetically reflective.

I bought +reds in 1994 and they were largely purple/blue and only really red at oblique angles. Seems to me they were always pretty much as they are now, though a few redder batches may have gotten out.

00 BIP
BIP
Tungsten Iridium Polarized
Bronze Polarized
G30 Polarized

I bought +reds in 1994 and they were largely purple/blue and only really red at oblique angles. Seems to me they were always pretty much as they are now, though a few redder batches may have gotten out.

I've noticed that +Red is a lens color that can look completely different depending on the frame shape and sometimes even within the same frame.

With flatter lenses Red appears more violet.blue and doesn't change to red. With curved lenses (radarlock) you still get the red looks. I don't think there was any change to howk +red looks, it's just that it looks different in different frames.

I agree, the ones I bought in 1994 were in Frogs (so base 6 curve) and had just as much purple/blue as current +reds.

I reckon the amount of red depends on both the curve and the size of the lens, hence why you see more red on a Radarlock as above - on my Juliet custom +reds, it's still mainly only red at the extremities and at the right angle.

I was disappointed with how little red there was in my +red second gen Frogs at first, but soon grew to love it and it definitely has a place in my top 5.

I do think it could be misleading to talk about old +red as being more red across the board though - plenty of them weren't.

As for my top 5, i could just go back to a previous post where we ranked lenses both to look through and at but I'll post afresh and go check after to see if I've changed my mind at all.

1. +red (after I just bigged it up, I thought I better)
2. Ice
3. G30
4. Black
5. Ruby
6. OO red

Guess I'm more a fan of neutral than contrast, or I just like my contrasts subtle...

This is always a nightmare, now I'm thinking what about gold, slate, jade etc etc...

Hmmm maybe I'm wrong about the + red, but I thought they used to be darker. The only pair I have now is a pair of Frogskins. But i had a pair of eye jackets back in the day that I thought was much darker. I still have the frame. Someday I'm going to get lenses cut for them. Anyway thanks for the info guys.

Hmmm maybe I'm wrong about the + red, but I thought they used to be darker. The only pair I have now is a pair of Frogskins. But i had a pair of eye jackets back in the day that I thought was much darker. I still have the frame. Someday I'm going to get lenses cut for them. Anyway thanks for the info guys.
Good luck.

Back