• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Travel Advice?

OBlazer

Oakley Expert
I will soon be leaving the country for a bit of a European adventure, I was just hoping to pick some of the more worldly members brains on how to save some cash. I will be staying in Rome for the majority of my time overseas.

I bank with chase, and they say that there is a 3% conversion rate charge on every transaction, is there any way to avoid this charge?

Any advice you all could offer would be greatly appreciated!!

I was in Rome back in May and LOVED it!!! I cant help much on how to save $$ other than get your beer from the markets off the main streets, much cheaper than the "popular" stores and a lot less than in the eateries. If you need a great place to eat some of the world's best pasta, let me know. I know this place that has awesome lasagna and fettuccine.

I couldn't find anything on the US site but Sears Canada MC no longer charges the conversion fee (conversion rate still applies). I will be using this on the cruise I'm taking this weekend. You could call and ask if the they are also offering this for the US cards.

This is the link for Sears canada
Save on Foreign Currency Charges

Best option for spending money abroad in my opinion is your credit card, if you own certain cards like a capital one, they have low to zero currency exchange fees, or next option would be to use your ATM card to remove cash, if you have a bank such as Capital one, or Bank of America, which have international branches, you will not incur fees unless you are outside of their global ATM Market, or lastly get a prepaid foreign currency card. Just like a prepaid Visa or Mastercard you might get someone here for a gift, get one for yourself once you get there. Exchange a bigger amount of currency (that you think you will spend, dont exchange more, then your stuck exchanging it back!) This will save you the multiple conversion fees, and its the most convenient.

Honestly the credit card route gives you the most money worth back. Cash is super convenient though, so rely on your ATM Card next. If you dont have a bank that is international, go open an account and drop some money in there stateside, then use it when you get abroad.

Hope this helps

Solid advice smurf. It's a little late in the game to get a credit card, but I might sign up for one and have it sent in the mail to me once it arrives. I will be looking into capital one cards and banks asap.

Everyone else is giving advice on money exchange and I give advice on pasta and beer........ :bounce:

In Italy: If you order pasta and beer, the mafia becomes angry.
In Germany: If you order pasta and beer, they serve you only beer.
Pasta and beer is a no-go. :blah:

In Italy: If you order pasta and beer, the mafia becomes angry.
In Germany: If you order pasta and beer, they serve you only beer.
Pasta and beer is a no-go. :blah:

Well I must have pissed the mafia off a bunch when I was over there then.... lots a beer & pasta

Back