• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Trying to decide on first Oakleys

dl33t3d

Oakley Enthusiast
Oklahoma
Looking for advice from experts. I have a pretty small face. I went to the O Store today and tried on different pairs. to my surprise the flak jacket with standard lenses actually fit smaller than the half jacket. After talking with the rep and trying on every pair in the store (including the madman/badman/Ferrari collection/carbon blades) the rep asked what exactly I was looking for. I told him how I remember 15-16 years ago walking through the mall and seeing a pair of pennys and Juliets at a kiosk. Instantly I was in love. No other glasses would do. Now being that long ago I cannot for the life of me remember how the juliets fit, but I remember vividly wanting those pennys and loving the feel of wearing them. They fit my face well and felt like a piece of art painted on. That said I didn't have the money and thought at the time I would never spend that much on sunglasses. As the old saying goes, Never say Never.

Sorry, back on topic. So he goes to the back and pulls out the last pair of twenty xx he has. Rootbeer and bronze iridium polarized. I didn't care for the color much. I tried them on and while I wasn't blown away, I did enjoy the fit over most of the other pairs in the store (the bigger glasses just don't fit me well [pun intended both ways]) After getting home i started looking at twentys, fives squared (which also have a smaller footprint, and came across minutes on ebay. So my question is this. Do I go after an almost 200 pair or do I wait it out and try to find some pennys (not shelf whores by any means) that are inexpensive; and by that I mean less than 300 dollars? Also i am leery about buying a set on ebay I cannot touch and have no idea if they are authentic... Ive been obsessing for days and am very indecisive. Thanks in advance.

Well if you fell in love for the Penny's, I would plan on getting the Penny's, because if you don't, you will disappointed. Then look for other frames

First of all hello and welcome to the forum.

If a Penny is what you want then buying another pair isn't going to hold you over for long, especially not if you hang around here very long. We are a bad influence. If you are on the fence about a pair, the members here will tell you to buy lol.

Now, assuming you are going to buy a Penny, here are some tips-

After 14 days and 15 posts you'll be able to participate in the exchange section. Chances are greatly in your favor that you'll find a better deal here than eBay. You can even post a WTB looking for a specific color way.

On the other hand you can scour eBay and Craigslist for the pair you are after. The good news on that front is that the penny is faked far less than other Xmetals, and you've got this community to help you make sure pairs are authentic.

Something to keep in mind though is that these pairs are over ten years old now and new in box and like new in box pairs often carry a hefty markup from the old retail price. If you find a cheaper pair it may need lenses or a tune-up. Lenses are out of production but a member here might sell you some or you can have them custom cut. We also have members who offer tune-up services that are no longer offered by Oakley.

Stick around and check out the collections area. Maybe that'll help you narrow down exactly what you want and you'll learn more about the brand along the way.

Thanks for the replies and advice. You have confirmed my fears. The only thing I think about when looking at a new pair is how that is about X% cost of some pennys. I did some reading in the past few days and saw that xman does tuneups so that was on my mind when I pick up a pair. Does anyone have a fit reference for the juliets (as far as size compared to another set they currently sell in stores) as I don't know anyone I can call upon to try them on

You're not going to find a useable Penny for less than $300. It does happen, but very rarely, and you have to be right on the trigger as soon as they get listed.

But you can find a Juliet for that price a little easier. Not all of them, but such a deal comes around much more often.

Wear them for a couple of months. If you like them, all good. If not, save your money during that time and then sell or trade the Juliets plus some extra cash for the your Penny. Then wear them for the rest of your life.

thanks neighbor. I think I might do that. Looking around here the likely result is buy juliets... keep em and buy penny's... buy display case and more glasses. Now that i think about it I may have a problem (the wife seems to think so) and I don't even own a pair yet.

Once you pop u can't stop lol . Got sum pennys x metal ruby love them < i don't recommend it for big guys very slim design vs all the x metal but very comfortable and the spring hinge is very cool. You will get a better deal with Juliet's in better condition but for the penny in very good condition with the box will set you back a bit specially for the rubies 750 2nd gen. x metal 4 life get started bro!

I just spent the last hour looking at juliets. the ones I would buy are in the penny price range. looks like I have decisions to make. I am also considering becoming a paid member so I can get my fix faster ;-)

Just became a member today and picked up juliets 325 cerakote desert no box mint ,1year $35 and every week sum thing gud pops up and u actually see the same guys listing on ebay for higher price.

I've got my eye on a set. I think I'll scrape up the scratch and see if I can get them. If not I will be ready for the next pair. You guys really are a bad influence.

Latest Posts

Back