• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Trying to figure out the tools for Linegear pin pusher tool

Noak

I should Work at Oakley
Singapore
My linegear pin pusher came in yesterday and I managed to get the nose rivets out, coupler changed and pressed back the rivets.

However, having read @rmontez thread about his experience, I still couldn't quite figure out how best to utilise the tips and "base" tools...

IMG_2212.jpg
IMG_2215.jpg

So, I managed to use Tip A and Base D to push out and press back the rivets but obviously, Tip A would possibly leave a mark on the rivets. Tip B's flat base seem more appropriate and while I can remove Tip A from the fixture, I can't figure out how to swap Tip A with Tip B. Tip A is at least 2.5x the length of B and had a long spring and C clip right at the end. I would like to point out that Linegear's tutorial showed that they used Tip A in all instances.

Anyone with the same tool can explain how they manage to use Tip B?

It's a no-brainer for bases C and D. The rounded edge of D is less likely to leave a mark on the nose bridge but adding a layer of masking tape is absolutely necessary.

One last thing, to my surprise, it's not that difficult to push out or press in the rivets. Done 2 frames last night without any scratches to the nose bridge, only some marks on the back of the rivets.

I couldn't even figure out how to remove tip A! Swapping the bases was pretty straightforward.

I was surprised how easy it was to change the pins too, though I marked the front of them in the process so had to order some new ones. Wasn't too annoyed by that because the orbital gaskets on that pair disintegrated when I took the lenses out so I needed to order more of those too anyway.

Did you use the Linegear couplers too? I did and found them perfectly stiff enough.

@Carrera1963 To remove tip A, just turn the top "handle" anticlockwise till the "handle" is out...do note however that there is a small ball bearing inside, between tip A and top "handle"...happy hunting around the house if you aren't careful (at least, that's what I did).

Would have loved to use tip B to press the rivets back!

I didn't use the Linegear couplers as I had quite a fair bit of Oakley's couplers but judging from other linegear coupler's users, I believe it would be a tight fit.

@Carrera1963 To remove tip A, just turn the top "handle" anticlockwise till the "handle" is out...do note however that there is a small ball bearing inside, between tip A and top "handle"...happy hunting around the house if you aren't careful (at least, that's what I did).

Would have loved to use tip B to press the rivets back!

I didn't use the Linegear couplers as I had quite a fair bit of Oakley's couplers but judging from other linegear coupler's users, I believe it would be a tight fit.
Yes, fortunately I was working on a cleared surface when I did that so "hunt the ballbearing" didn't take very long!

Yeah, I got the handle off and then wasn't clear on how to switch the tips. A appeared to be strongly retained by the spring and, as you said, much longer than B so I left everything as was at that point.

Any hints on this @Linegear Official?

[@jdd32 so with tip B at base, sharp tip at top, we placed the frame facing upwards, sharp tip A inside nose bridge hole? With this configuration, I assume we are using the circumference of the tip A to push the nose bridge downwards against flat tip B...is that right?] Ignore this reply as I had gotten the wrong idea! :)

Last edited:
Sharp tip of B is installed into the device. Flat top is where you place the front bridge down for installing pins. Tip A is used to push the pin for installation just like the removal of the pins.

So I kinda of misunderstood your explanation. I called tip B a tip but you named it a base instead. Actually, I called it tip as the tool to be placed on top and base as a tool for something to be placed below. Hence tips A and B for top of fixture, base C and D for bottom of fixture.

How did you managed to swap tip A to tip(base) B?

Latest Posts

Back