• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

TSA Friendly Case For My Juliets

Firstsage

Oakley Beginner
Utah
Hey everyone,
I am looking for a TSA friendly case I can put my Juliets in when I travel. I frequently fly around the US and will take my new Juliets with me. I try to keep as much stuff in my backpack as possible so it doesn't go missing on me.
I would like to find a hard compact case as space is valuable.

Any thoughts?

Just be careful with your Oakleys around any of those TSA derps. They f*cked up my Whiskers and refused to pay for them when I flew out of SLC a couple of years ago. I had to send them in to Oakley to get fixed which resulted in a full frame replacement under warranty.

If they had done to my Juliets what they did to my Whiskers I would have made the news for swiftest ass-kicking of one of those *******.

@NMOne

what happens to the Whiskers?
was it in your carry-on baggage?

Just be careful with your Oakleys around any of those TSA derps. They f*cked up my Whiskers and refused to pay for them when I flew out of SLC a couple of years ago. I had to send them in to Oakley to get fixed which resulted in a full frame replacement under warranty.

If they had done to my Juliets what they did to my Whiskers I would have made the news for swiftest ass-kicking of one of those *******.

Why would TSA mess with sunglasses? Did you have them stored away in your checked baggage or carry on? I've never had issues. I just stuck them in the X Metal soft vault, put them in my backpack and walked through the metal detector.

To make a long story kinda short, I had them on top of my head and didn't think about them as I put all my stuff in the totes (It was 0530). I approached the metal detector and the TSA guy running it pointed out that I needed to remove my sunglasses. I asked him if I could put them in the microbag and then in my backpack. He said yes and watched me as I pulled the microbag out of my pocket and put them in there, then put them in my backpack before it went through the x-ray. I waited at the other side of the x-ray machine for the tote with my stuff and the guy running the machine (different derp) stops the belt before I can get the tote and asks what I put in the backpack. I told him my sunglasses. He asks why sunglasses would need to be in a 'protective baggie'. I told him because they are Oakleys and aren't cheap and I don't want the lenses getting scratched. The other agent didn't have a problem, why is it a problem now. Agent B tells me that I put something suspicious in my backpack and the entire thing needs to be searched (nevermind that it just went through a hi-def x-ray machine).

So I seperate everything from my laptop backpack (I travel light, a 150 pg notebook, my laptop, iPad and associated power cords). He found the Whiskers, pulled them out of the microbag and checked them out (for what I don't know) and then laid them on top of the iPad, which was laying on top of the laptop on top of the backpack (pyramid o' fun). So he says according to policy the tote has to be rescanned, so I pick it up to take it back to the start. He grabs it from me and says that only a TSA agent can do this. I say 'fine', I'm getting impatient, haven't had any coffee or food and am feeling murderous. I sit down to put my boots back on and I hear a 'Crunch' from the front of the conveyor. I look up and the ******* had dumped the contents of the tote into another empty tote at the front of the belt. I'm sitting there fuming because that's a lot of expensive hardware and my sunglasses that took a dive because this guy wants to be a douche. I grabbed the tote when it came out of the machine and found my sunglasses on the bottom, still out of the bag and lenses down underneath the laptop. I hold them up and can see dozens of fine scratches from being ground against the tote (They were less than 5 months old to me at this point and still looked display-case new)

I came unglued and called this guy out, told him he damaged my sunglasses. He denied it and challenged me to prove that they weren't already scratched when I came in. I demanded a supervisor and waited and out comes this miserable-looking fat bastard who looks like he just got out of bed and doesn't have a will to live. I explain the situation to him and he goes over and talks to the agent that did it and comes back and asks me if I have any photographic proof that the sunglasses weren't damaged before I arrived at the airport. I told him I had pictures on my camera, which was in my checked baggage and not carry on. He gave me a card with a link on it to a TSA damage claim form and said that I would have to call and get a damage claim rep's email to send them the pictures. I had to make my flight so when I got to my hotel I called the number and spoke to someone who told me that since I left the airport where the incident took place I couldn't make a claim since there wasn't a local TSA rep to corroborate my claim. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told the same thing before being hung up on. A couple more phone calls that ended the same (one supervisor flat told me I had no business taking expensive property on a flight) and I just simply gave up.

I ordered new Black Iridium lenses to replace the original Grey ones and had them installed at LensCrafters. Then a couple of weeks later I took them off entering my parent's house and the right arm was pointing straight down. Couldn't figure it out so I called Oakley CS and explained what was happening. I told them I was fine with paying the $60 fee for repairs if it was deemed out of warranty, I just wanted my glasses fixed (they were a Christmas present from my wife and my first pair of designer sunglasses). I sent them out and two weeks later they showed up at my door good as new! Called Oakley again and they said that they had just simply swapped my lenses into a brand-new frame.

So that's that. I don't trust the TSA guys anywhere. Poorly managed, poorly staffed. Just useless all around and some of them get a thrill out of making flyers miserable and trashing their stuff.

god damn idiots!

i like this - I had no business taking expensive property on a flight

what would they cheap people say if i wear a pit boss or a c-six?!?!

Back