1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. demitri.prometheus

demitri.prometheus Oakley Beginner

I have the Tungsten which is sort of like a brownish with yellow color. I tried the Titanium Iridium at an O-Store before but can vaguely remember. Anybody who has both? What's the main difference between the two? I remember the Titanium Iridium being more of a neutral brown, is that accurate?

Thanks!

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. marc2040

marc2040 Guest

Titanium:
    Light Transmission: 10%
    Conditions: extremely bright light
    Protection Index: 3
    Neutral / Contrast: Contrast

Tungsten:
    Light Transmission: 15%
    Conditions: medium to bright light
    Protection Index: 3
    Neutral / Contrast: Contrast

3. atrain

atrain O-Forums Boss of Bosses

I have both and I have to say Tungsten has become my fav. Titanium is deffinatly lighter than the Tungsten. I will compare tom in the sunlight just to be sure.

4. atrain

atrain O-Forums Boss of Bosses

Ok guess I was wrong :p. I do have to say that Tungsten looks black to everyone that looks at you which makes it a sweet lens cause its Brown for you.

5. xInZax

xInZax Gascan Addict

Tungsten, in my eyes at least, have less contrast than the Titanium. I have the Nanowire 2.0 Tungsten Polarized pair and another set of Titanium Gascan's, and the Nanowire's are truer in color than the Gascan's. They are both spectacular lenses though.

6. demitri.prometheus

demitri.prometheus Oakley Beginner

Btw, I meant to ask about the polarized versions. But I suppose there's not much difference in the color/tint besides the capability of blocking additional glare?

Can you guys kindly describe the color (what color you perceive when wearing it) for the Titanium Iridium? I just tried my Tungsten Polarized and they're indeed brownish-yellow for me.

Thanks!

7. xInZax

xInZax Gascan Addict

I would say the Titanium has a stronger tint. It is much browner/bronze looking than the Tungsten. As far as polarization, I think the polarized version has a lower transition (12%?). I've never used the standard Tungsten before, so I am not sure :sad:

8. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

The polarizing filter is a gray base and knocks the transmission down a bit (10% goes to 9% for instance).

9. DKO

DKO Oakley Enthusiast

I now have both Tungsten polarized and Titanium polarized.
    I prefer looking through Tungsten. I feel it is more contrasty than Titanium. Titanium seems duller than Tungsten, and not just because its slightly darker.
    But Titanium has a more reflective iridium coating so harder to see your eyes, if this is important to you. Tungsten has a fairly light iridium mirror.
    For an every day tint, Tungsten for sure. It's just nice to look through and easy on the eyes. High contrast so it can stay on in cloudy, bright indoors and shaded areas all the way to fairly bright sunlight. You'll never need to take them off.
    But for bright sunlight, especially for those who say Prizm Daily is not dark enough, I think Titanium performs well in bright sun and deals with glare quite well and is still a nice contrast lens.

picapiedraz likes this.
  10. 7legion77

7legion77 Oakley Enthusiast

The strong tint makes titanium a fun lens to play around with, its pretty unique to look through. My only Oil Rig has one.

I heard all titanium lenses are being discontinued by Oakley so get it while you can.