• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

UK Oakley "tune-up" Cost?

Dodfaefife

Oakley Beginner
Edinburgh
Evening all.
After 14 years of faithful service, I thought I was going to be forced to retire my XX's until I realised that Oakley are still offering a repair service on them. My XX's were purchased with prescription lenses not long after they came out. In fact I rejected them three times as defective. My optician explained they were "still getting the hang of the new lens coatings with prescriptions". Anyway, my prescription has now changed too much to keep wearing them plus the bridge gasket is loose and I've lost both nose pieces.

My question is this: If I send them off to Oakley with instructions to replace the rubber pieces and swap out the lenses for non-prescription black lenses, will it work out cheaper that ordering the lenses and swapping them myself ?. Any ideas?

Pic of "old faithful"...
IMG_1497.JPG

Hello bud. I just got my juliets back a week ago from oakley. I brought them second hand. When I got them I removed all rubbers and lenses, cleaned the them myself. Sent them to oakley with nothing on just metal frame, £7.50, (signed for + Insured up £200). I asked for ruby irridium lens put in and they came back looking new and cost £82.50. So £90 including postage. That's from East Sussex. Hope that helps

Hi mate.
I know for a fact that Oakley Euro HQ. has absolutely no replacement lenses still in stock for the XX (spoke to them yesterday).
What they will do is give the nose bridge a tune-up. That process along with replacing the ear socks and temple shocks will cost you £27.50.
I'm not sure if they have nose bombs still in stock for the XX, but I've got a pair out with them at the moment. If they get replaced, I'll let you know.
If they do have them, it would still be covered by the £27.50 std. charge.
Hope that helps.
Here's the link for the repairs: http://uk.oakley.com/customer-care/repairs
Here's the link for the address to send them to from the U.K. (Coventry, at the bottom of the return address options): http://uk.oakley.com/customer-care/returns

I would have though the XX was a big seller but I notice my serial is mid 6K's. Does the serial not relate to numbers made? Or was my pair as new as I remember.

@Dodfaefife, we're both right AND wrong :p.
After seeing the link you just posted, I thought "that can't be right...I'll ring them again".
Spoke to a different guy this time (Hamza was his name) and he seemed a bit more knowledgeable.
The black Iridium is definitely out of stock, but the 24K IS in stock. He even said they have loads of them.
When I queried why I'd been told yesterday "no chance, way too old, now out of stock", he said "well it all depends on which warehouse was being checked. There are no stocks available at Euro HQ in Holland but U.S.A. still has stock and that's where these are".
I said to him that the black Iridium showed "ships in 3-5 days" and he said "yeah, that's an error. The site hasn't updated yet as they seemed to have been bought in bulk, batches of 5's here and 10's there...", and he went on to say that there was little chance they'd be doing anymore. The last bit though I can't help but feeling he might be just guessing at. When I pressed him again about the black he said definitely no stock anywhere...:(.

The serial does relate to numbers made but, as with all x-metals, there were different generations. if it has no letter at the end of the serial it will be 1st gen. second gen will end in an 'A'. Some models had a 3rd gen and end in (you guessed it) a 'B'. Then there were the pairs that were made when Oakley, under the ownership of Luxotica, dropped the serials altogether so there are no serials on the arms. Check out this link for all x-metal serials
http://o-review.com/forum_detail_m.php?ID=11867

I would have though the XX was a big seller but I notice my serial is mid 6K's. Does the serial not relate to numbers made? Or was my pair as new as I remember.
That means you have a 1st Gen X-Metal XX sku# 04-120.
In theory you're right. If yours is XX006### then that's the 6### model that came out of the factory in that colourway.
Doesn't mean necessarily that every pair preceding that hit the shelves. Some might not have got past final quality control etc. etc.
....And @mjt42 beat me to the rest of the explanation I was gonna give you, including the link to the serial list on o-review :D.

Back