• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Under which conditions do photochromic lenses darken?

I can say with confidence that there is no defect. I sought out a glasses shop that had a UV flashlight and asked the shopkeeper to fire it up. The lens darkened considerably, and quickly - probably because the machine's intensity was high.

This is also a brand new model; I had bought this on Sunday. So I think it was a pretty cloudy day when I took those pics.

Any updates with your photochromic lens? Has it darkened yet? In case you might be traveling in the Philippines, Metro Manila's UV Index is 9. Just the other day, I can feel the skin on my leg starting to roast in the noontime sun, while outdoors awaiting a cab. Lots of UV here!

Am considering getting that same Clear Black Iridium Photochromic lens you have, for sailing in changing conditions (from blinding sunshine to cloudy with approaching thunderstorm all in a few hours). Updates appreciated, thanks!

Resurrect! :)

I have a photochromic Split Jacket as a wear pair.

Now, I'm about to buy an Oakley display case. Considering glass filters UV-light, but maybe not all: Is it wise to display these Sj's when not in use?, or should I just keep them in their vault?

Cheers, Lars

Great question.
I have some PC Jawbone lenses that are now 10 years old, and still function as new.
They are always kept in the vault when not in use, just to err on the side of caution, but mainly as I had read here that they had a finite photo-sensitive life.
I'd love to hear from anyone that could match that age when stored in ambient room light.

Last edited:
Just mere hours ago (6PM local time), I picked up a pair of Radarlock Path Photochromic Oakleys at a major department store here in Seoul. Given that Korea is in the Northern Hemisphere, there was still plenty of sunlight (though not near midday).

I hopped on a bus heading home and sat on the side that was getting most of the sunlight while wearing the pair. Initially the lens wouldn't darken, but I chalked that up to there being many apartments on the way home and the bus possibly having UV shielding on its windows.

When I got off at around 6:30, I stood in direct, unobstructed sunlight for about 3 minutes, but the lens still wouldn't darken. Today wasn't exactly a cloudless sunny day, if that's of any relevance.

So my question is, do photochromic lenses work best during the afternoon and become less dark for lack of a better term as the day progresses, or do I have a dud?

I'm going to wait until tomorrow lunch to try again and return it that day if need be.
within a minuite

Latest Posts

Back