• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Uneven Legs

EditReject

Oakley Expert
Bear, DE
Forgive me if this has been covered before but I did a search and came up with nothing. I have recently started purchasing Frogskins and 2 of the 3 pairs I have bought have uneven legs (noticeable when sitting on a flat surface). The one has a right leg that is about a quarter inch higher and the other with the left leg a little bit lower than the right. The one is not too bad and I can live with it but the other that is a quarter inch higher I am sending back as it sits crooked on the face.

Is this common with the Frogskins due to the style of the frame or did I just get unlucky with 2 of the 3 I bought?

I'm not sure I ever had that problem... Maybe you just got unlucky?

The only real issue with frogs is that with some models the legs are really loose. Most of the time it's due to the moulds they use.

My jupiter camo frogs are like that... mine aren't too bad, maybe an eighth of an inch. Most likely just the molds that were used.
I think Speakforyou on the forum had the same problem with her jupiter camo's as well.. check out her "My new frogs!" thread for a pic.

Happens with a lot of the newer frogs. The releases within the last two years I prolly have 5 pair that way maybe more

Thanks for the responses all. Not good that this happens but good in that I am not alone. Yeah, the one pair I have that is slight is the Jupiter Camo frog too. The other was the Crystal Black w/ + Red that was a 1/4 inch higher. Those two were bought online so I could not inspect them first.

The one that I have that is fine is the all blacked out Matte Black one I bought at an O store. Funny thing is that the first frame they brought out was really jacked up. The employee looked almost embarrassed. Sad that an oops frame probably had to wind up being trashed.

Uneven arms when sitting on a flat surface is an Oakley manufacturing foible that you will see across a vast number of models from vintage to new releases. The difference can be minuscule to significant enough that another pair should be sought. Some acceptance to this trait is necessary if you are a collector, it will simply not be possible to obtain every pair flat. I have learned to consider this as part of the 'character' of the brand and accept it as such. If you check items 'in store' you can try for the flattest, ask sellers to describe the condition if you are buying through the post, but due to it's abundance I would avoid considering it a true defect. Whether it is O Matter, Acetate, Wires, or X Metals, 'uneven arms' are part of the production process that in most cases needs to be accepted.

Romeo is spot on, it's so common. I've heard others say you can heat up the frame with a blow dryer and try and twist so it's even but I've never bothered about it. I don't consider it a defect anymore but a quirk of Oakley.

If I'm buying in store I now always do the flat test before purchasing a pair. I remember I had to go through about 5 pairs each of the Union Jacks and Old Glory to find a pair that wasn't ridiculously uneven.

Back