• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Updated Oakley Forum Exchange Rules

Should Comments be allowed in Exchange Forums?

• Yes

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 37.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, need to give this some thought - seems to be very mixed across the forum, and as I mentioned above there is no true way to differentiate between "comments' and "bumps". The Mod team will continue to discuss, but looking forward to hearing more thoughts!

Maybe all questions and comments in private, as proposed by @STavros is not a bad idea. In other words only the OP can post changes in the sale, and bumps

Maybe it's just me... Maybe bumping needs to be clearly defined in the rules. Does commenting (unnecessarily or otherwise) in a sales thread constitute a bump? EDIT... Just saw a comment from Boss above mine lol

Sent from Q's Note5

Maybe it's just me... Maybe bumping needs to be clearly defined in the rules. Does commenting (unnecessarily or otherwise) in a sales thread constitute a bump? EDIT... Just saw a comment from Boss above mine lol

Sent from Q's Note5
Issue is the comment is a automatic bump and thread goes to top

Sent from: Outer Space

My .02

Bumps should be allowed when the price is dropped/adjusted (obviously a minimum price drop amount should be something considered so people don't drop by $1 or .50 or something ridiculous)

All the glws, nice glasses, etc should not be allowed. However, I do like discussing rare items in the post to get a back story behind them rather than creating a whole new thread somewhere else.

There should be some attempt made by sellers to combine posts or there should be some sort of a limit. 2 or 3 per section maybe. (not sure if the backend of the forum has this ability) I get where the original complainers were coming from: that 10-15 different thread bumps all at the same time is annoying, causes too much clutter and pushes other stuff off the first page.

LOL- I saw this before I left the house and I didn't even have the time to get to work and settled in before the **** hit the fan ha ha ha

Not to reiterate what others have said but- my first thought when I saw the no bumps/no comments was "that's a new one for any forum I've been a part of" and my second thought was "that'll create more issues than it's worth- and not more issues than it solves because I don't think there's any issues with bumps OR comments".

It's fine the way it is- and if you're literally proposing we have to create a NEW post every 7 days? Um- no thank you. I'll stop listing here and I think other will too- we don't have time for that and just to get it back to the top? As far as bumps go they serve a purpose- they show that someone is actively moving an item. Sometimes I'll see a post that's even 3 or 4 days old and wonder "hmmm...is that still available" and I may not PM on it. But if someone is bumping ever couple/few days, I know its not only available but they're still interested in moving it. And what about price drops? If something doesn't sell immediately many of us wait for the opportunity to bump and then we'll also update the price. As buyers we miss out on the opportunity to take advantage of such if that's buried in a listing 5 days old on the 3rd page that we already looked at 3 days ago but thought "maybe if the price goes lower"....and it does but we're not given the heads up by the seller because he's not allowed to do that. Besides- it'll just create more multi posts- rather than someone posting 4 items in one listing, they'll create 4 different ones and scatter them across days do keep something closer to the top- you want forum clutter, that's the way to create it.

As for comments- that's part of the forum experience. Does a thread here or there get off the hook with non sales related comments? Yes. But they're few and far between. For the most part the dialogue between members in sales threads, to me, adds to the sense of community and sometimes forum members will look out for others they know want something that's been posted and tag it. And there's things like discussions about the model etc. which adds to the buying and selling experience. Eliminating that would make the buying and selling process very cold and informal- and honestly there's not enough threads in the exchange section to warrant it- its not like we have 100 new sales posts a day (which happened on a forum I was on once- THAT forum needed rules like this because it was overwhelming otherwise- we don't).

I also don't think ALL sales related comments should be limited to PM. Why? Example- someone posts something for sale. They don't really specify condition- you ask "what's the condition?" in the thread - seller answers. If one person is thinking it, many others are too. As a buyer, that's a GOOD thing if someone else asks and the reply answers it for me as well. As a seller, I also don't want to have to be answering umpteenth PM's about the same thing I may have overlooked.

Frankly I'm surprised the poll numbers are as close as they are (although statistically a near 60/40 split is considered overwhelmingly for something and against something else) and I'll bet if you did a bump poll it would be more like 80/20 or 90/10 in favor of allowing 48 hr or 72 hr bumps. The comments topic is in my mind a whole lot more divisive than the bump topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back