• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Value Of 1st Edition X Metal Penny

danzinsky

Oakley Beginner
Hi,

Need some cash for Xmas and have a pair of X Metal Penny's with Ruby Lenses from probably about a decade ago. They have a serial number XM001822.

Anyone got an informed opinion as to what they could be worth before I decide whether to sell or not?

They're in good condition.

Thanks,

Dan

Do they have a box? If not, in good condition, $400-500. The box would probably add about $100.

What do you mean by good? Like, small scratches on the lens, couple on the frames?

The frame has a few very minor scuffs - hardly noticeable. One of the lenses has a scratch about 1.5cm on the inside which doesn't affect vision and to see it you have to hold them a certain angle in a bright light. I have the box somewhere but can't find it!

Ok, probably closer to $500 if you can't find the box.

Just noticed that was your first post. I guess once you meet the requirements for the exchange forums, you could list it on there. Or list it now on oakleyexchange.com

very appropriate that i found this thread. i was about to post a new thread with exactly the same topic. i recently got two x metal ruby pennies but one has purple hues on the lens. different gen or simply a good cut from a good batch? cannot really understand the different generations of the ruby. all i know is that what i do not want is the "fruby." lol:laugh:

My xmetal penny lenses look like the 1st gen ruby Juliet lenses. I saw someone on ebay selling "purple" hues. Looked kind of aftermarket to me.

ruby doesnt have 'generations'.. its just earlier ruby had more layers of iridium put on it so had a darker hue.. but that extra layering also meant alot of the batch was discarded due to increased errors and flaws.. so they cranked it way down to have a lower discard rate, but also meant less saturated colors on the iridium..

Back