• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Very Bad Investment...

Kiwi

Oakley Expert
WA
I bought a pair of beat up Juliets thinking they would be a good investment to tune up and use. I've never seen a pair of juliets go for under $100 even in the worst condition so I thought it would be a cool project to restore a pair. After all said and done, turns out I could have easily bought a brand new pair for less than I invested. Here is what I put in:

$150 for frames + trashed lenses; rubbers and washers
$66 for new lenses. Authentic oakley
$74 for tune up from oakley
$10 shipping to Oakley
$6.50 plain black Microfiber case
Total: $306.50

I didn't realize that I could have bought a pair of brand new in box juliets for less than this after F&F discount. Not to mention I could have spent a little more to get a polarized pair. Lesson learned, and a heads up to others who like to restore old pairs. On the bright side, I'm glad I could restore a pair of juliets to make them feel like new and ready to use since we all know that xmetals are discontinued so the population of juliets can only decrease. When I first got them, they were in horrible shape but now they are in flawless shape. I just have to debate on whether to sell them to recover my money or wear them.

I was debating on whether to send them to Xman or Oakley. I decided with Oakley because they provide new rubbers, gaskets and temple shocks. If I were to send them to xman I would have to hunt down the other necessary items.

I have to admit I am a bit of a purist and I'm not really into recoloring xmetal finishes. Not to offend anyone but if I were to see a pair of recolored xmetals, my first thought would be that they are fake. Maybe that's because I haven't owned enough xmetals to get tired of the finishes and maybe someday I'll consider getting an xmetal frame recolored.

I'm still trying to justify the pleasure of restoring the glasses with the monetary price I had to pay.

The problem is finding a pair, anymore (not to mention I think the F&F is over). I actually just did the same thing although I paid $200 for a Gen 1 Plasma frame. The nose does need to be tightened up (although the seller said it "wouldn't need a tune up). I was thinking to send it to the x-man as well but I want to send them to Oakley for the exact reason you did; for all new rubbers. The frame could use a blast to restore them, but probably not necessary.

I wouldn't say what you did was a bad investment by any means. I'll end up putting Polarized in these if I decide to go through with the "restore" process, so I'll end up paying even more than you did. I may just turn around and sell the frame depending on if I have the funds to restore them.

Not to hi-jack, but can anyone recommend some type of buffing wheel or something of the sort to try and get some imperfections off the frame? I don't think they need a total redo, but like on the arms for example, there is some black (stuff?) that seems like it would come off if I had the right wheel to remove it. Any ideas?

The problem is finding a pair, anymore (not to mention I think the F&F is over). I actually just did the same thing although I paid $200 for a Gen 1 Plasma frame. The nose does need to be tightened up (although the seller said it "wouldn't need a tune up). I was thinking to send it to the x-man as well but I want to send them to Oakley for the exact reason you did; for all new rubbers. The frame could use a blast to restore them, but probably not necessary.

I wouldn't say what you did was a bad investment by any means. I'll end up putting Polarized in these if I decide to go through with the "restore" process, so I'll end up paying even more than you did. I may just turn around and sell the frame depending on if I have the funds to restore them.

Not to hi-jack, but can anyone recommend some type of buffing wheel or something of the sort to try and get some imperfections off the frame? I don't think they need a total redo, but like on the arms for example, there is some black (stuff?) that seems like it would come off if I had the right wheel to remove it. Any ideas?
That's the coating deteriorating on the frame. There is no fix for that

IMHO a $15 rubber kit isn't near enough to sway me away from X Mans services. Gaskets can be an issue but most donor pairs come with them anyways. You will not find a tighter nose bridge than X Man. And the material X Man uses does not deteriorate over time like Oakleys does....thus causing another $75 from HQ much sooner than X Mans tuneup.

Truly a pleasure to bring the worn out, and deteriorating back to life. There are alot of New Members that are unaware of possible services of X-Man, and how great a benefit to members his work is. This post is to help explain, or give ideas, to what is possible, and is done all the time on this forum. REMEMBER though, if you have the frame refinished or blasted into another color way, you must explain that to the buyer. It does not take any value away, and a Ti actually adds value, but X-Metals are at the point where alot of what is out there needs "Restoration", and just like in cars, this does not take away value if done correctly. This is proper information, that when spread, will keep the value in the frames and keep us happy for a long time to come. Oakley Custom Lenses should not take away from the value either like aftermarket ones do. They are Still OAKLEY lenses, and for both of theses options, unless there is a matched box, or complete set, it shouldn't make any value diff, or possibly add to it. Ex, Refinished plasma/Fire, due to deterioration of the frame, and is sold with original box and coin, should keep its value, due to only being restored. Blasted into Ti-02, with no box, likely would sell for the same. I hope all this helps some members out, and explains to new members how the process works. Additional info below:

Original Post:
$150 for frames + trashed lenses; rubbers and washers
$66 for new lenses. Authentic oakley
$74 for tune up from oakley
$10 shipping to Oakley
Total: $300

Possible New Calculations:
Washers are likely still fine, so no expense there
F and F, or Forum pricing BNIB lenses 46
Tune up= X-Man 60 shipped, or 80 Refinished to Factory fresh (plasma, metal)
Earsock kit= 10.00
Frame 150.00
SO That would be only $256 plus the 10.00 ear sock kit. So For 266 you could have gotten the same work done but a better job from X-Man and the turn around time is within a week and a half. Not the month it takes from Oakley. If the frame was deteriorating at all, then the refinish (to make it look brand new again) add 20. So 286.00 and you would have a Brand New pair. F and F, IF they had a pair, yes That would have been the deal, and not do this, unless you refinished into a Ti-02.

Pricing on the Forum is likely around what you would have in it. Key is most of us have the extras lying around, so adding that to a refinished frame, just allows us to turn it for a gain. Trades also help, where someone might not take money, but your refinished frame is what they want. As frames and pairs become a little more difficult to find, prices will go back into the 300 range. Plasma and Carbon are so common, the pricing it is hard to get over 300 even on the Bay. Add a complete box and coin and maybe 320 for those. X-metals in the stores are becoming more and more difficult to find, so expect prices to raise slightly.

Back