1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. X-Metal Beast

X-Metal Beast Oakley Expert Premium Member

Something doesn't look right. Thx to @mjt42 for pointing it out in the fake thread. Look at the side by side pic below, the shape of the titanium plate is way off on the eBay pair.

I also just got a response from the seller regarding the "A" on the stem, and here was the answer:

"Hi
    I'm selling them on behalf of someone else so I cannot look for myself. Someone has already asked this and apparently my friend was unable to find a letter A. All I can say is they are quite heavy and one of the lenses has polarized etched into it.
    Kind regards
    "

There's your answer ...... no "A" means they're FAKE
    @Fernando

Very Careful with the PitBoss 1 Rootbeer on eBay - PB1 RTB UK.JPG

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. X-Metal Beast

What has me in doubt is that everything else checks out. Damn.

What do you PB1 experts think? The color of the plate seems too similar to the frame, but might be the lighting.

3. X-Metal Beast

Well, so much for that. I hope nobody in here got screwed with that fake. It went beyond what I was willing to pay anyway, so that's good.

Thx again @mjt42

NEXT

4. supersharp

supersharp X-Metal Connoisseur Premium Member

The break on the bottom of the ti plate of the fake usually is straight. The real one usually curves down more. U can see it in the pic above. So far, the "A" theory still holds true.

5. X-Metal Beast

So you think that pair is real? Seems like the curve is very different comparing mine to the one in question. Also looked at a recent rootbeer that sold in the forum

For Sale - PB1 rootbeer

please let me know, I'm not a PB1 expert.

6. supersharp

supersharp X-Metal Connoisseur Premium Member

The pair on the left look like the right curve. The pair on the right looks straighter, but angels can be deceiving. The pair in the for sale thread is legit.

Here's a close up pic of mine. Sometimes the angle of the pic makes a difference. I'm no PB expert either, but the pair in question looks legit to me. Need a better pic of the angle break and make sure it has rivets and not screws on the inside. The "A" would really be the definitive answer though.

Very Careful with the PitBoss 1 Rootbeer on eBay - image.jpg

Very Careful with the PitBoss 1 Rootbeer on eBay - image.jpg

motoGP_fanatic likes this.
  7. X-Metal Beast

Thanks. The seller did say that they could not see the "A". I even sent him a pic of the "A" on my PB1. As far as the curve of the plate at the bottom, I took 20 pictures of mine trying to get different angles, and in none of the pics looked even close to the one in the listing.
    Also what threw me off ass well was the color of the titanium plates, didn't look right. My max was busted anyway, so I wouldn't have won the auction even if I had bid.

supersharp likes this.
  8. mjt42

mjt42 Oakley Expert Premium Member

also, look at how the word 'polarized' is located/placed on the lens - another lookout sign for me.....

supersharp and X-Metal Beast like this.
  9. nlgrav182

nlgrav182 Oakley Enthusiast

Those look pretty good to me. Got the right bolts everywhere, "made in USA" is right. Doubt they're fake.

Plates fit nice and tight too.

10. mjt42

mjt42 Oakley Expert Premium Member

...even though the seller couldn't find the [A] in the hinge - even after being shown a picture of where it should be?

Wavecloud and X-Metal Beast like this.