• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Very Cheap Oakleys

They're not - there's always some version of these sites out there; they get shut down on one URL and then just pop up again with a new URL... same with other counterfeit product sites...

But here's a (maybe) interesting dollop of Useless Knowledge - these days most counterfeiters sell online because it's harder to get caught; it's not like you can rent out space at the local outlet mall, open a counterfeit O Vault, and expect to get away with it...

But for the Australian boot maker Ugg, there's an interesting twist - Ugg products are also highly counterfeited but Ugg has the name trademarked all over the world... except in their own home country of Australia. It turns out "Ugg" is a local term for "boot" and they can't trademark it anymore than we could trademark "boot" over here. So any local can open a brick-and-mortar "Ugg factory outlet" selling counterfeits and stay in business for years - Ugg can't do a damn thing about it. Only in Australia...

I know this because there's one in Wollongong (about an hour south of Sidney) and I contacted Ugg HQ directly asking about their legitimacy; that's what they told me. In writing.

[EDIT - post #2222....]

Back