1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Any idea what this VigLink thing is?

I keep noticing on some of my older posts a word here or there has been changed into a hyperlink. It looks like these hyperlinks take you to ebay. There's a hover-note saying "Link added by VigLink".

If I edit the post, I don't see any embedded link content. And if I save changes (without actually changing anything), the link is wiped out / back to plain text.

Any idea what this is? Is it authorized?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

3. kronin323

lol - VigLink already added a hyperlink to my OP in the word "VigLink" to "www.viglink.com". Dare I follow it?!?!?

4. OakleyFrankFMJ

viglink

5. OakleyFrankFMJ

Hmmmmm............didn't work for me when I typed it.

6. OakleyBoss

OakleyBoss Moderator Staff Member Administrator

Essentially its an automated script that links content relevant text(most likely related to this forum), e.g Oakley RadarLock Sunglasses, to the related product. So you can click through to say an eBay auction, or amazon listing for that product. When someone follows that link/purchases a product, Oakley Forum earns a fee, similar to CPC ads.

I'm not a huge fan of ads, for several reasons, so I am always looking for ways to generate revenue without being invasive.These are still being tested, and will most likely be over the next few weeks, but of course nothing is certain.

You guys know I always want to hear feedback, so dish it out. Please be considerate, as it is not feasible for the site to simply not have any ads anywhere, in addition, any surplus revenue is used for great giveaways, like the one currently going. (Shameless plug: http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/oakley-forum-10-000-member-giveaway.37558/ )

7. Oakle y

Oakle y Something Something Darkside Premium Member Lifetime Member

I'm all for the forum generating revenue as you need that to stay running (operate the server, upgrades, giveaways, etc.) My only question is as a premium member I am still seeing the hyperlinks as well. Part of the premium membership is no ads. are you planning on it staying that way?

Don't get me wrong they aren't really a nuisance and they don't bother me I'm just playing devil's advocate.

8. kronin323

Maybe it was your syntax - viglink vs. VigLink

9. OakleyBoss

OakleyBoss Moderator Staff Member Administrator

That is a valid point, that I didn't think of. I will work on editing the script so premium members do not see it.

Last edited: 10/15/14
  10. Oakle y

Oakle y Something Something Darkside Premium Member Lifetime Member

Thanks Boss.