• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

VigLink

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
Any idea what this VigLink thing is?

I keep noticing on some of my older posts a word here or there has been changed into a hyperlink. It looks like these hyperlinks take you to ebay. There's a hover-note saying "Link added by VigLink".

If I edit the post, I don't see any embedded link content. And if I save changes (without actually changing anything), the link is wiped out / back to plain text.

Any idea what this is? Is it authorized?

Any idea what this VigLink thing is?

I keep noticing on some of my older posts a word here or there has been changed into a hyperlink. It looks like these hyperlinks take you to ebay. There's a hover-note saying "Link added by VigLink".

If I edit the post, I don't see any embedded link content. And if I save changes (without actually changing anything), the link is wiped out / back to plain text.

Any idea what this is? Is it authorized?

Essentially its an automated script that links content relevant text(most likely related to this forum), e.g Oakley RadarLock Sunglasses, to the related product. So you can click through to say an eBay auction, or amazon listing for that product. When someone follows that link/purchases a product, Oakley Forum earns a fee, similar to CPC ads.

I'm not a huge fan of ads, for several reasons, so I am always looking for ways to generate revenue without being invasive.These are still being tested, and will most likely be over the next few weeks, but of course nothing is certain.

You guys know I always want to hear feedback, so dish it out. Please be considerate, as it is not feasible for the site to simply not have any ads anywhere, in addition, any surplus revenue is used for great giveaways, like the one currently going. (Shameless plug: http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/oakley-forum-10-000-member-giveaway.37558/ )

I'm all for the forum generating revenue as you need that to stay running (operate the server, upgrades, giveaways, etc.) My only question is as a premium member I am still seeing the hyperlinks as well. Part of the premium membership is no ads. are you planning on it staying that way?

Don't get me wrong they aren't really a nuisance and they don't bother me I'm just playing devil's advocate.

I'm all for the forum generating revenue as you need that to stay running (operate the server, upgrades, giveaways, etc.) My only question is as a premium member I am still seeing the hyperlinks as well. Part of the premium membership is no ads. are you planning on it staying that way?

Don't get me wrong they aren't really a nuisance and they don't bother me I'm just playing devil's advocate.

That is a valid point, that I didn't think of. I will work on editing the script so premium members do not see it.

Last edited:
Back