• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

VL Lens Review

qtrain23

The Printing Pundit
Premium Member
United States
I keep meaning to do this but have just been busy

Lens

First lens I'm reviewing is the VL equivalent to fire - Fire Red. This is a great looking lens but personally I think it should be a ruby equivalent. That being said, it still looks very nice. They are however much darker than either Oakley lens so that is something to keep in mind. All VL lenses also come polarized. Pics below are compared to a fire polarized Juliet.
9DD7B1A5-423F-4DF6-923D-490AFE5D7FEC-1843-0000013B5B819BE0.jpg

CC2C3328-63A2-48C1-9214-AECC37D782F8-1843-0000013B55CEA8F2.jpg

Clarity

I've been using this lens for a few weeks and I have to say that I notice no difference in clarity to Oakley lenses. Viewing from the outside of the lense, it seems like there is a spot that is warped, but I cannot seem to find it when wearing the lens. I'd give them a 9.5/10 for clarity.
4F491B6E-44DD-4F52-97B6-0465BF211CB3-1843-0000013B6256C09D.jpg
DD786E93-EC38-484F-BE87-05DF89E7E937-1843-0000013B5E0289C1.jpg

Fit

I had no fitment issues with this pair. They popped right in and seem to be the exact size/shape required. No complaints for XS lenses.​

I rate them 6.5/10 (not rating the price, just the product)
In my opinion the clarity is not as sharp as an OEM lens.
Weeks ago I bought some pairs from VL and used them for a while in my Split Jackets and Ten.
I noticed that the VL lenses on the outside of my view (left and right) are tiny bit wavy.
That means objects become something like a deformation.
That's why I wouldn't buy VL lenses again.
Well, I have to say that my eyes are very sharp.
Cleaning VL lenses compared with OEM's takes much longer and you have to clean them more often with a soap to have the repellent effect.

Again, I don't rate the price and the colors, just the lenses and their quality.

I've got the Ice Blue VL Lenses for my Frogs an I actually like them. Look great, don't notice any difference in clarity between these and the Oakley lenses. Only problem I had was with the fitting. Oakley lenses popped right in but took a bit of effort to fit the VL ones.

I've got the Ice Blue VL Lenses for my Frogs an I actually like them. Look great, don't notice any difference in clarity between these and the Oakley lenses. Only problem I had was with the fitting. Oakley lenses popped right in but took a bit of effort to fit the VL ones.

Read #3 of my Straight Jacket overhaul.
I think that's not a VL related problem.
Maybe night shift workers related :sleep:

i don't notice any waves near the edges, however i do notice a slight color/tint change. Still, for the price, excellent.

Viewing from the outside of the lense, it seems like there is a spot that is warped, but I cannot seem to find it when wearing the lens.

Not sure, but I think it depends on the way they make the color transition.

Does anyone have any Plasma Purple, Ice Blue, Silver Ice or Emerald Green ones mounted. If so can I see some pics. Don't know if the pics on the VL site are true representatives of the colors in real life.

The last pics I have.

Fire
Silver Ice
Ice Blue

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back