• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

VL Lenses Are They Worth It

I can't comment re: VL but I recently purchased a pair of SR (from Spain) fire iridium polarized for a needy pair of e-wires.
Original Oakley lenses are scarce for this model, and, to be honest I wanted to give a fair try to the aftermarket.
The FIP lenses fit as well as OEM, their colour is slightly more yellow while OEM is more orange.
I notice the lenses produce a minor displacement of the image when the glasses are moved vertically, but none of that effect when the glasses are displaced horizontally. I've not been able to reproduce this effect with any of my OEM lenses.
I also notice that when testing the polarization by rotation against another polarized lens, the darkening effect seems to occur at around 45 degrees, while OEM lenses darken sooner (maybe 30 degrees or so). I've no idea what this means practically, but that's my observation...
So far, they produce no headaches in 2 weeks of heavy use, and that was my main concern. I am quite sensitive to visual disturbance and subject to migraines.
What I've learned is that for $30, you can be satisfied, but I'd still jump through hoops for OEM.
R U listening Lux??

I decided to try a pair of Revant (the new VL company name) lenses for a Flak Jacket frame I had. Bought Ice XLJ. Got them and upon trying to install, it was incredibly difficult. Literally took 30 minutes and my hand hurt considerably by the time I was done. To top it off, when I wore them, the top part of the lens had a noticeably lighter tint than the bottom. I returned them for full refund and they were very good to work with.

Ended up buying a set of OEM Ice XLJ lenses from Chop and am very satisfied. I did however get a pair of Yellow non-XLJ (ordered XLJ but they sent wrong one, I kept them and got partial refund) lenses fro Walleva. Didn't want to spend $50 for a pair of Oakley yellow when they're just for night driving. Hard to mess up a 75% light transmission lens and they seem fine. Go in and out easily and do help with nighttime glare.

Latest Posts

Back