• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

VR50 transition lenses

The Dark Gnat

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Anyone happen to have any VR50 transition lenses? I need to find a comparison of how dark they get if you have them vs the pair I got.

Or if you have a pair of g40 transitions.

If you have them can you post picks please?

Thank you in advance!

I have one for the crosshair. It goes to about the darkness of a vr28 when it's fully transitioned

Do these look about right then? I cannot tell if they are transitioning. I know that sounds odd, but I can't tell if it's just me or they are not transitioning.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

if they're your before/after pics then they look about right.

You won't notice the darkening process whilst you're wearing them. However it'd be obvious on the outside that they have darkened. They're not super dark and your eyes will still be visible under full sun because

I'll see if i can dig out my pair over the weekend for some pics

Thank you. I would appreciate that. I figured my eyes would still be visible with there being iridium in them.

vr50 transition doesn't have iridium coating and as such the eyes are visible. Furthermore, the transition process only takes it down to the 15% for light transmission, which isn't dark enough to hide eyes very well especially for vented lenses where there's light leakage illuminating your eyes

They're awesome lenses for all-day overcast areas like in certain parts of Asia and UK

I basically got them for coaching soccer on days when it is mostly cloudy with random bright patches of sun. I like them so far but as always when I buy off of eBay I test the hell out of what I buy before the return period is up.

I also wonder how to tell the different between the vr50 transitions, the persimmon photochromatic and the g40 when they are not activated. I have seen pics of all three and I cannot tell a difference. It makes me wonder how different they look when activated.

I am also thinking about getting the clear black iridium transitions. But I have heard mixed views on what light transimition they actually have when active.

Back