• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Watch Quality

I'm no watch expert, but if the most expensive Oakley watch (FMJ) is using the same Swiss movement as my $700 Invicta, I'm sad for anyone who has that particular Oakley watch and thinks "it's worth it"...

At that price point, it's pretty much just the fact that you have one that makes it worth it for the buyer...

Not sure what movement are in the other Oakley watches, but something tells me they're not the greatest Swiss movements out there...
Some of the big boys, like Breitling, used the 7750 too but even an established watch company like that wasn't charging as much as the FMJ. Off the top of my head, the only ones with enough front to ask for more than $10k for a 7750-equipped watch were Hublot, with various Big Bangs.

@Oakley G, can you think of anyone else?

The IWC Doppelchronograph in titanium was over $11,000. The IWC GST Perpetual Calendar Chronograph with it's famed cal 79261 was close to $15,000. Anything with 18k case and bracelet like the Omega SMP Chrono exceeded $10,000 by a large margin. You add platinum and it's even more. Idon't think any of Panerai's 7750-based watches like the Lumina Marina or 1950 watches reached $10,000, but they were pretty expensive as well.

The selling point of Oakley's watches is less so the movement and more the design, the case and the bracelet uniqueness.
and that's perfectly fine, because that's why I stick with Invicta watches...they're case and bracelet designs "to me", are superb and one of a kind...the different amounts and designs of pieces/crowns/screws/internal casing components/cables/carbon fiber/mother of pearl/etc used on one single watch is mindblowing to me...let alone that I'm love with the big watches (50-53mm cases)...

Ultimately things like the FMJ weren't created for those highly knowledgeable about watches, or those wanting value for the dollar compared to other top brands with sophisticated movements, or those looking for the top of what horology can offer. They were made for Oakley fans that want limited edition stuff.
nailed it...and I won't fault anyone for that...

people will buy what they feel is awesome...

The IWC Doppelchronograph in titanium was over $11,000. The IWC GST Perpetual Calendar Chronograph with it's famed cal 79261 was close to $15,000. Anything with 18k case and bracelet like the Omega SMP Chrono exceeded $10,000 by a large margin. You add platinum and it's even more. Idon't think any of Panerai's 7750-based watches like the Lumina Marina or 1950 watches reached $10,000, but they were pretty expensive as well.
damn - you seem to know your sheeeeet :)

thanks for all of the info you're providing us...

again, I'm no watch expert, just as I am no Oakley XMetals expert...

I just buy things because they look cool HAHAHA !!!!

I was thinking non-precious metal and without additional complications - the IWC's split seconds and perpetual calendar respectively go part of the way to explain the expense (though they don't justify it in my opinion).

Wouldn't be surprised if a Panerai got close, they've rarely shied away from ambitious pricing.

Without heavy modifications or complication modules or precious metals or diamonds added to it, I can't think of any watch that dropped a 7750 into a case strait from Swatch and charged $10,000 for it. The closest I can think of are the Graham limited editions and something like the Breitling GT Racing for Bentley on a SS bracelet, but those don't really approach $10,000 all that close (and the ongoing understanding is that Brietling does still make many modifications themselves rather than just use the stock movement received). And of course the Oakley FMJ, which was the closest of all brands off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Many swiss watches use the Valjoux 7750 movement (Hamilton, Tag, Hublot etc) Breitling recently started making their own movements. I have an Ebel Tekton with an in house movement that is a sick watch! Much less money to collect Oakleys as they don't need $300-$500 services when they start losing time.

New to the boards here and just stumbled across this older post, and while several years old I thought I might throw into this in hopes that it may give some insight into a few things I was just schooled on regarding the quality of Oakley Watches (or at least the Double Tap)...

First off just for the record, had an incredible 1st transaction with bean323 who assisted me in securing a Stealth and Blue Face Double Tap. He was incredible, spot on in his description as well as delivery, fair on price and answered a ton of my questions...can't say enough about him! Thanks again Bean!

While looking into the watches I saw several either online or here at the forum that had experienced something within the crystal area of the watch (a fleck, piece of fuzz, paper, what have you) that required the watch to be sent back for service.

When my watches came they were beautiful...one was a gift (the Stealth) and only after presenting it did I also see several gray flecks inside of the crystal around the "8" mark. The flecks were the same color as the dial markings (grey) and I began to think something may have come off but could not see any indication of this.

A good friend is a jeweler and I asked him to see if he could service the watch...and he advised it "should not be an issue", so I left it with him...a short time later, I got a call the watch was finished and there were no problems.

As I picked it up he was securing the rear plate and asked if the watch was expensive...I explained to him the history of the Double Tap, that it was no longer made, and a few other things...he became quiet and appeared to be "careful" with the words he used in his reply.

Long story short...he comment was that the watch was "nice"...and that would be about it. His first concern on the watch was the fact that something substantial was found within the crystal and that this isn't the first incident of this happening. Generally speaking the higher grade watches are assembled under very carefully controlled conditions...and debris should not end up within the watch casing.

The movement within the watch was incredibly simple and plain...nothing fancy or of high quality, and being battery operated this was another concern or indication that this was possibly not of a higher grade watch. "His cost" to replace the movement: $45.00.

The Sapphire crystal was the most expensive part of this watch...again, "his cost" for a replacement: $100.00 (maybe).

As referred to earlier in this post, you are paying for the name...packaging, advertising, and some quality design, but appears to be about it.

I was a little shocked and taken back...I learned a lot from someone who has no stake in this game, wasn't trying to sell me anything and repaired this for free. ]

All in all I still love the Double Tap, its a good looking piece, just not sure that it is worth the original MSRP that Oakley set or possibly the hype that lingers with this being the "last production" watch Oakley made.

My .02

New to the boards here and just stumbled across this older post, and while several years old I thought I might throw into this in hopes that it may give some insight into a few things I was just schooled on regarding the quality of Oakley Watches (or at least the Double Tap)...

First off just for the record, had an incredible 1st transaction with bean323 who assisted me in securing a Stealth and Blue Face Double Tap. He was incredible, spot on in his description as well as delivery, fair on price and answered a ton of my questions...can't say enough about him! Thanks again Bean!

While looking into the watches I saw several either online or here at the forum that had experienced something within the crystal area of the watch (a fleck, piece of fuzz, paper, what have you) that required the watch to be sent back for service.

When my watches came they were beautiful...one was a gift (the Stealth) and only after presenting it did I also see several gray flecks inside of the crystal around the "8" mark. The flecks were the same color as the dial markings (grey) and I began to think something may have come off but could not see any indication of this.

A good friend is a jeweler and I asked him to see if he could service the watch...and he advised it "should not be an issue", so I left it with him...a short time later, I got a call the watch was finished and there were no problems.

As I picked it up he was securing the rear plate and asked if the watch was expensive...I explained to him the history of the Double Tap, that it was no longer made, and a few other things...he became quiet and appeared to be "careful" with the words he used in his reply.

Long story short...he comment was that the watch was "nice"...and that would be about it. His first concern on the watch was the fact that something substantial was found within the crystal and that this isn't the first incident of this happening. Generally speaking the higher grade watches are assembled under very carefully controlled conditions...and debris should not end up within the watch casing.

The movement within the watch was incredibly simple and plain...nothing fancy or of high quality, and being battery operated this was another concern or indication that this was possibly not of a higher grade watch. "His cost" to replace the movement: $45.00.

The Sapphire crystal was the most expensive part of this watch...again, "his cost" for a replacement: $100.00 (maybe).

As referred to earlier in this post, you are paying for the name...packaging, advertising, and some quality design, but appears to be about it.

I was a little shocked and taken back...I learned a lot from someone who has no stake in this game, wasn't trying to sell me anything and repaired this for free. ]

All in all I still love the Double Tap, its a good looking piece, just not sure that it is worth the original MSRP that Oakley set or possibly the hype that lingers with this being the "last production" watch Oakley made.

My .02

While your insight from an outsider of Oakley watches is interesting, I completely disagree.
Double tap happens to be one of the most fashionable watches I own. Simple in design yes. But the size, curves and bold look keeps the MSRP and more. Oakley HP, MM, Time Bomb, TB2, Double Tap and Auto GB have kept their value for the last several years because many people enjoy the Oakley look.

I own Rolex, breitling, Cartier, omega and etc; I still enjoy wearing Oakley for casual wear. Every watch has its wrist time. Just enjoy the process.

Cheers

Steve

Steve,
I couldn't agree with you more...not sure f maybe you misunderstood or I didn't explain myself clear enough (apologies).

We had actually spoke when I first joined the board weeks back asking for info on the Double Tap...and you were very kind to give me some of your insight and opinion of which I appreciate.

I agree they are fashionable, I love the appearance and design of them as well as the weight, something caught my eye immediately when I was looking into them and continued to keep me coming back. Even the jeweler remarked it was a nice, good looking watch...when I showed him images of the Stainless, he thought that was even better...

I have never been a real flashy kind of guy or go for some wild design, so these fit just what I was looking for...

I am just not sure how much you can "pay" for looks and appearance or a name is all I was getting at....I am no watch expert by any means...I don't open the cases nor am I schooled on their workings or repairs...hell even replacing a watch band for me can be a chore if not impossible, lol...

I do some work for a local music store, and lets say in comparison to a Gibson guitar, even their name is worth only so much and people have debated if their quality has decreased over the years and if you continue (today) to get your money's worth of a Gibson of lets say many years ago...I don't know...but understand the thought and conversation.

I guess you would just hope for your investment that the actual assembly quality and the inner workings of the watch itself may possibly reflect that investment and that debris would not have found it's way inside the case or that the movement would have been slightly more advanced.

You, sir have some watches with the ones listed...lol! I am impressed.

As I had said in the post...new to the board and I know I have a lot to learn...appreciate the advise and input!

Dan

Latest Posts

Back