• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Watch Winder

What happens when you dont have a winder or have not used your GB or tb2 for a long time?

By-the-book, the lubrication for the moving parts could have dried / hardened and using it could risk damage that'd need repair, and the recommendation is to have it serviced before using after a long time not in operation, like a year or two.

In practice, there's little risk with modern mechanicals; the lubricants used in watches these days last a lot longer and are much less prone to hardening. Worse case, the ETA 2824-2 movement used in Oakley automatics (other than the FMJ) is very common with replacement parts readily available and relatively affordable.

I have an ETA 2824-2 movement in a non-Oakley watch that I've had over 10 years and rarely wear, less than once a year. I don't keep it on a winder, so each time I'm starting it from scratch after a long period of inactivity. Haven't had a problem yet... (jinx)

Just to follow up, I ended up getting a Wolf Viceroy winder (I posted pics on my collection album but figured this might be more useful here so reposting in this thread).
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg

Is it expensive? Yes... Is it worth it? I think so! :)
The main purpose for me is to keep the watch wound and ready for use (and the presentation doesn't hurt either LOL).

The fact that you can customize the TPD (turns per day) is the selling point for me. Different watches/movements require a different winder setting. Yes, basically a great number of automatics are recommended to undergo a bidirectional program at 650 TPD to keep it fully wound (including the ETA 2824-2 in TB2) but still you have to check with the manufacturer. And since Oakley is not exactly "famous" for making watches, researching optimal settings in the winder is a bit difficult. I have my winder set to 350 TPD bidirectional which should produce a total of 700 TPD (the winder's TPD can be customized in intervals of 50 so either I get a total of 600 or 700 bidirectional). The Valjoux 7750 in FMJ on the otherhand requires 800 TPD in clockwise setting to keep it fully wound so obviously a different setting (and obviously not applicable to me since I don't have one ;)). I couldn't find the ideal setting for auto GB but i'm guessing it's the same since the movement is the same (ETA 2824-2).

A lot of the stuff I found useful are taken from hours of research. Orbita was able to provide the numbers, although they also identified TB1 as ETA 2824-2 :punish:. Not the same as they use a seiko kinetic, right @kronin323? :)

Orbita Watch winders - Innovative Watch winder Designs | Orbita Watchwinders

Just to follow up, I ended up getting a Wolf Viceroy winder (I posted pics on my collection album but figured this might be more useful here so reposting in this thread).
View attachment 233998 View attachment 233999 View attachment 234000

Is it expensive? Yes... Is it worth it? I think so! :)
The main purpose for me is to keep the watch wound and ready for use (and the presentation doesn't hurt either LOL).

The fact that you can customize the TPD (turns per day) is the selling point for me. Different watches/movements require a different winder setting. Yes, basically a great number of automatics are recommended to undergo a bidirectional program at 650 TPD to keep it fully wound (including the ETA 2824-2 in TB2) but still you have to check with the manufacturer. And since Oakley is not exactly "famous" for making watches, researching optimal settings in the winder is a bit difficult. I have my winder set to 350 TPD bidirectional which should produce a total of 700 TPD (the winder's TPD can be customized in intervals of 50 so either I get a total of 600 or 700 bidirectional). The Valjoux 7750 in FMJ on the otherhand requires 800 TPD in clockwise setting to keep it fully wound so obviously a different setting (and obviously not applicable to me since I don't have one ;)). I couldn't find the ideal setting for auto GB but i'm guessing it's the same since the movement is the same (ETA 2824-2).

A lot of the stuff I found useful are taken from hours of research. Orbita was able to provide the numbers, although they also identified TB1 as ETA 2824-2 :punish:. Not the same as they use a seiko kinetic, right @kronin323? :)

Orbita Watch winders - Innovative Watch winder Designs | Orbita Watchwinders

Very nice winder, nicer than mine. And I like how the fabric pattern complements the CF face of your TB2 without duplicating it; looks great!

How's the sound level? I'd assume it's pretty quiet...

And great job on the research, well done. And well presented... :hi:

But don't sweat keeping it fully wound; all it has to do is keep it running. Even if you left it long enough for the net loss from using a setting that doesn't keep it fully wound eventually gets it down so it's not enough to run properly, it'll still be enough to keep the movement active, and one day's wear will build up the reserve... Besides, in comparison with quartz movements, automatic mechanicals will lose/gain time relatively quickly and need to be reset anyway, whether wearing it or on a winder...

Yeah, I keep SMH about people misidentifying kinetic movements, because they're so different; I have a story about getting a new capacitor in my most recent TB that I never posted because it would be too long (even for me) and pissed me off too much... :headbang: But it ended up successfully...

Very nice winder, nicer than mine. And I like how the fabric pattern complements the CF face of your TB2 without duplicating it; looks great!

How's the sound level? I'd assume it's pretty quiet...

And great job on the research, well done. And well presented... :hi:

Thanks! Yes it looks amazing especially with the TB2 mounted. Sometimes I just stare at it LOL. And the way I figured, it took me long enough to read through all these watch forums so thought I would just try to simplify it and share it here for us who may not be as knowledgeable as some of the watch experts.

Yes it is very quiet. At the end of the day, it's still just a winder, albeit an expensive one. A more affordable one is certainly reasonable, but I chose this one because of several things: customizability, quietness, appearance, "large cuff and drum" to accomodate larger watches, and the fact that the drum itself rotates with the watch to avoid scratching. And for someone who has OCD, scratches are a no no.

Frustrating thing is that I tried mounting the TB2 and still the side of the band is coming into contact with the the silver rim/drum. But once the thickest part is in then it's home free. I think it's simply the design of the TB2 band which tends to keep the diameter of the entire watch wider than narrower (and longer when looking at the watch from the side). As one can see from the 3rd picture above, the clearance between the band and the drum is very small, so much so that it comes in contact with the drum at the widest point when mounting in and out of the drum. I ended up buying a smaller cuff, hopefully it's a better fit especially since my wrist runs on the smaller side. Fingers crossed... I also had to apply some of the protective wrap (originally came with the watch to cover the band) to prevent direct contact with the barrel.

Sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes you don't. A more affordable winder is ok but something in my gut is telling me not to put an expensive watch in a cheap winder... Same thing with buying a Lamborghini then mounting cheap ass tires. But ultimately, to each his own.

Yeah, I keep SMH about people misidentifying kinetic movements, because they're so different; I have a story about getting a new capacitor in my most recent TB that I never posted because it would be too long (even for me) and pissed me off too much... :headbang: But it ended up successfully...
LOL sounds painful :p

Last edited:
By-the-book, the lubrication for the moving parts could have dried / hardened and using it could risk damage that'd need repair, and the recommendation is to have it serviced before using after a long time not in operation, like a year or two.

In practice, there's little risk with modern mechanicals; the lubricants used in watches these days last a lot longer and are much less prone to hardening. Worse case, the ETA 2824-2 movement used in Oakley automatics (other than the FMJ) is very common with replacement parts readily available and relatively affordable.

I have an ETA 2824-2 movement in a non-Oakley watch that I've had over 10 years and rarely wear, less than once a year. I don't keep it on a winder, so each time I'm starting it from scratch after a long period of inactivity. Haven't had a problem yet... (jinx)

Awesome thanks.... Im gonna buy you a big juicy shawarma...

Nice winder! The best ones can be so expensive. I've been thinking about making one myself using some stepper motors and the arduino platform, but I'm still in the research phase... It keeps getting overly complicated due to all the new features that I come up with, then I end up taking a break for a couple weeks. Ideally I'd like to have 4 slots with individually selectable TPD and rotation styles, plus a GPS clock display for when I set time on the watches, all built into a nice finished wood enclosure. Oh and for the enclosure, I'll probably want a temperature controlled fan for cooling. Maybe someday I'll get around to all that, and if I do I'll be sure to post it.

Back