• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Welp, Got An M2.

Ventruck

I am Jim Jannard...
*bit of a review on the bottom

As someone who doesn't necessarily collect, and already feels set with using the Radarlock for cycling, this was something I really didn't need. Add the fact I wasn't too impressed by the M2 in the store before, and I would've wanted a white frame in particular - yeah; buuuuuuuut....

I got this for pretty cheap. Less than half of retail as it was a standalone pair without bag or case. Only defect was a superficial one on the lens - can't even find it on the backside.

9kN1npm.jpg

Weird that I say I'm already set on the Radarlock, but with that I'll admit I was curious to what the M2 could offer, as it's seemingly "redundant" in terms of function. I guess a new Oakley customer would feel that it's "cheaper" than the Radarlock because of the lack of cam hinges and there's less going on in general. I personally was a bit turned off at the former, but it really becomes an afterthought.

A few months ago when I tried it on, I thought it had to be tighter, but actually it's secure enough, which I guess is due to the generous earsock surface. The weight (or lack thereof) of the frame itself kinda lens to staying put.

I'm not sure if the pairs regularly come with an Asian Fit nose piece. As someone who uses them in the Radarlock and Jawbone, I can kinda get away with them on the M2 because the lens doesn't touch my cheeks so much - even less than a Jawbone with the Asian Fit pads on...so I've got a very close fitting lens compared to other pairs I got. I like that "sealed" feeling though it also means I have to deal with instant smudges from my brows.

From when it was first revealed, I was pretty hot on the lens shape in general. I perceived it as essentially as a revised Path lens. It's taller and wider, with more specific cuts which I guess lend to the ability to clear my cheeks at the same time. I really wish the Radarlock had something like this cut.

While all of my pairs are technically workhorses, this M2 is gonna be my out-of-town cycling pair. I'll cry less if I lose these - partly because of the price I got them for, of course. :p I still prefer the tighter grip from the Radarlock, and I don't have to clean the lenses as much since they're a bit more spaced away. Otherwise, if the M2 gets the previous M-Frame lens variety (I know they kinda fit already), I don't think there's much of an argument. Rustpot also pointed out that the M2 frame has a peculiar feature that could possibly accommodate a future Helo kit.

Considering hitting up the exchange to see if anyone wants to trade a white frame (keep the rubbers - I'm cycling so you really wouldn't want mine).

Attachments

• 9kN1npm.jpg
    9kN1npm.jpg
    287 bytes · Views: 278
Last edited:
I have been thinking of picking up an m2 for my collection; but just have not gotten around to it. I will soon hopefully with my 30% that oakley has given me.

I have been thinking of picking up an m2 for my collection; but just have not gotten around to it. I will soon hopefully with my 30% that oakley has given me.

Is it eligible for OCP? There's a lot of cool possibilities with the frame, and I think it'd be more worthwhile since even replacements of the regular lenses aren't offered yet.

btw, was my picture not showing before? I looked at my OP and didn't see it, so I edited it in case this whole time I looked like a complete goofy with just a wall of text.

One late thing I realized is that less-snug fit probably lends to limiting lens deflection, as that's been something Oakley has been hot about lately. The simplistic spirit of the M-Frame couldn't really accommodate a form of Switchlock and/or widening the lens interface tolerances, so this would be the next best thing. From rusts' review I believe the M2 is a bit wider at the ends of the stems since they're shorter and there's a less pronounced "hammer" profile. Of course, I could just be reading too much into things.

I have a bit of a big head (~59cm), and the frame barely deflects. Like I said before, the M2 really sticking to the face seemingly because of the generous earsock surface and light weight. If there was one real nit-pick I would give the pair, is that there was missed potential at the hinges. When the stems are closed, the rim is observed to have a bit of a profile on the edges that the wing pieces fit into. That interface could've been shaped in a way to make the frame stiffer (so the rim is less prone to distortion and the hinges are reinforced) when the stems are open, but it's purely aesthetic from what I observed.

I just got sent the Carbon and Ice Iridium M2 today.

I was also of the opinion of "What's the point?" just come back in after an hour out using them and really like them. I probably would choose to use them over the Radarlock but not the Radar Path.

Is it eligible for OCP? There's a lot of cool possibilities with the frame, and I think it'd be more worthwhile since even replacements of the regular lenses aren't offered yet.

btw, was my picture not showing before? I looked at my OP and didn't see it, so I edited it in case this whole time I looked like a complete goofy with just a wall of text.
Yes you can OCP on the website, I was messing with designs earlier. Sorry for the late response but your picture was not showing. Now it is :)

Back