• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What a piece of garbage-Radarlock

Always liked the look of them but my face is possibly too narrow to carry them off well :)

The rest of me, narrow is not a word I would veer towards describing myself with.

Radar >radarlock. It has more moving parts more opportunity for something to break and its so much easier to just pull the lenses out of a radar anyways...

I love Radarlocks! I own 3 pairs and hope to get more! I use them when road cycling, and never have had a problem. Flimsy is ok with me. I have had vintage pairs of oakleys that have snapped in half, so flimsy is ok with me as long as its not broken

Radar >radarlock. It has more moving parts more opportunity for something to break and its so much easier to just pull the lenses out of a radar anyways...
I have several pairs of Radars & Radarlocks, and have never had an issue with either. When Radarlocks came out I had doubts about the durability of the switchlock mechanism, but have NEVER seen an issue with one.

I work for the O, but what could I gain by misleading you? Both work well, but it's far easier to change lenses on Radarlock

The whole "moving parts = more ways to break" thing is flawed because it doesn't account for frequency of use. Fair enough, the idea of the system was to welcome it (especially considering they supply an extra lens), but I've never heard of a Radarlock Switchlock mech fail.

How is it prone to fail under regular use? The mech is arguably more gentle than the Jawbone/Split setup when opening/closing. When worn, there's no magical forces to account for vs. the regular Radar. By design the Switchlock door would still be held in place while the pair is worn if the switch itself somehow broke.

I've had Half Jackets and 2 pairs of Fast Jackets. I sold the Fast Jackets to fund a pair of the Black Ink and OO Red Iridium Polarized Radarlocks. I absolutely love them. I have the vented path lenses in both OO Red Iridium Pol. as well as Black Iridium. Great coverage. Lightweight, perfect for when I'm biking. I look forward to seeing the Jawbreaker, but I'm not sure I want something with a frame beneath the lens.

No issue with my Radarlocks here. I have a few pairs of regular radars that squeak, these are the first couple of year runs too. It seems as though the squeak is more pronounced in regular pairs like white or crystal colors, if any. I've tried to avoid folding arms on any pair (as much as possible anyway) since Sub Zero days, just to better preserve the lifespan of the frames. That and avoid forgetting them or placing them somewhere they might get crushed.

I'm with Dusty, I like them but I cannot wear them as my face is too narrow. I'm waiting for the women's radarlocks to get some more neutral or more masculine color ways like Grey on Black or Orange and green (Erin Go Bragh!) :)

I own several Radarlocks and enjoy wearing them. I use them for mountain biking, fishing and various other activities and have never had a problem with them. They're really comfortable for all day wear and the lens coverage is good for me.
The plastic squeaking is normal and really doesn't bother me. The pairs I own have never failed, and that's what matters to me. They look good and feel good.

Latest Posts

Back