• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What are X-Metal Coins made of?

I believe the original 'large' coins that were included with X-Metals are stainless steel, with the exception of the copper coin included with the Penny, which is copper, or mostly copper anyway. I think the newer 'small' coins (including IH, SI, etc...) are all zinc alloy.

I did hear there were some limited oversized coins that were made of X-Metal, but that does not make sense to me as the process to melt and mold a coin like that would not seem reasonable. Of course there once was a time when Oakley did unreasonable things just because they could. ;) - Hopefully there is someone on the board who can speak to that...

Last edited:
I think the large coins are aluminum, if they were stainless they would be magnetic and they are not. Also, all the early Oakley display item and cases are aluminum, it would just make sense the have the coin made from aluminum too.

I am not sure I agree with the last post. The mass and weight of the coins is different that aluminum - and they are much harder. If they are aluminum they are a different Alloy more like the vaults. As for the coin/card holders, they are certainly mostly aluminum - the solid ones anyway... keep in mind that there are also hollow card/coIn that are die cast, so not all of the small coin/card holders are made of exactly the same stuff the same way either.

Does anyone know what the vaults are made of - the square small and large ones? They are not aluminum either ...

if they were stainless they would be magnetic
...and actually they [the large coins] are slightly magnetic, not pure SS, but there is something magnetic in them, more so than the other items mentioned.

18-8 SS (one of the truest grades other than rare 505) is NOT magnetic at all. Lower grades such as 410 SS magnets will attach too as the level of carbon in there is lesser

Back