• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Are Your Biggest Oakley Disappointments?

Herbsley

Steadily Retiring
Durham, UK
There have been a couple of threads recently of buyers who have been disappointed with their purchase - whether it has been a new product or a model from yesteryear, their expectations have been dashed once they have the item in their hands. This got me thinking of whether I've had similar encounters over the course of my collecting (spanning back to the 1990s) - and whether we have all felt that heart-sinking thud at one time or another in our Oakley careers.

Cases of "Never Meet Your Heroes", where a product from the past has not met the hyped expectation you had prior to holding one in your hands. (A recent thread on a Juliet purchase springs to mind).

Or cases where a new product has come to market and you've thought the look and feel of the product - or the quality, texture, finish, view thru the lens, etc - was going to be different or better in some way.

Or how about cases when you have seen a frame online and thought "THEY WILL BE MINE!!!!", but then tried them on and discovered to your horror that either (a) they do not fit you, and/or (b) you look like a complete tool in them.

And then there are disappointments of travelling long distances to an Oakley store or Vault, only to realise that you actually could have just stayed at home and looked at a better selection of frames there.

For me personally, my major disappointments over the years are probably . . . .

1) TOOL.
I look like a tool in Frogskins.
I wish I could carry off the Frog. They are an Oakley collector's DREAM. Loads of sick colorways. A timeless frame with an endless run that just keep on rolling out new products. Part of EVERY special edition run or 'collection'. But hey. I look like a right ar5e in them. Perhaps my wallet is thankful for this, but in the meantime I am insanely jealous of @Mrs H 's collection for this.

2) QUALITY.
Most Women's frames.
Bear with me . . . .
One of the things about being married to another collector is that you can buy Oakley gifts at Xmas/birthdays/whenever and get that Oakley purchase buzz by proxy. However, nearly all of the Women's frames are rubbish. Next time you are in an Oakley store, pick one up. And for a real shock, pick up a Beckon. My vote for easily the worst quality Oakley sunglass ever made.
Xmas/birthdays/whenever presents are therefore not as easy as you might think.

3) GOT EXCITED. BUT THEY DON'T FIT.
Sideways. Ahhhh, the Sideways. Like someone has taken a Hijinx, made it too heavy by making it out of acetate, then skewed the icon. And yet, I love the look of that frame.
Just not on me.
Too small, y'see. Grips my head like a vice.
But just look at the Polished White and the Devil's Brigade editions of that frame and try telling me they are not awesomely different.
IT'S TIME FOR A SIDEWAYS 2.0
(Just make it BIGGER!)

Pit Boss. Fuel Cell. Felon. Two-Face (Ferrari). See above. All just too tight.
Hmph.

4) 'MEETING HEROES'.
I think this was my first ever disappointment, going waaaay back.
It's sacrilege to say nowadays, perhaps, but . . . .
Did anyone else think the Over-The-Top was gunna look and feel better when you held one? Come onnnn, admit it. It's not just me. You saw it on TV or in a magazine and thought "That is the coolest fking thing I have ever seen". To be fair, I was so revved up, nothing could have lived up to that hype for me.

Well, that's mine.
Or at least what I can think of right now.

Anyone else want to share their top/major examples?
:)

Pretty much anytime they announce their next release. Nothing grabs me.
The last "X Metal" offerings. Not even made from what they're called
I want a pair of Pit Boss' but have never even seen one or even a 2 in real life and am thinking I may have hyped it up in my mind too much.

1) ha ha - can't wear those funny frogs neither . . .

2) try to get her into x-metals ;)

3) those acetate frame are always a WIN!! look @ the cool Frogs hi hi - can't wait to see the Sideways 2.0 with an oval O

4) i have some OTT and i can't wait to see that Oakley making something like that again!!

SORRY @Herbsley - i don't have the time to make my own list :dance2:

Pretty much anytime they announce their next release. Nothing grabs me.
The last "X Metal" offerings. Not even made from what they're called
I want a pair of Pit Boss' but have never even seen one or even a 2 in real life and am thinking I may have hyped it up in my mind too much.

You need to try a pair on. You may not be disappointed.

Of course mad and badmanmainly calling it X metal. Instead as many have here called it next xmetal is better choice as not destroy a great part of there history.. If came out as normal new name omatter frame not bad at all.

1. Only strong as the weakest link
I love the minute machine watch however the weak bracelet clasp on the titanium band version drew me away...

2. Pit boss -fit issues
I like the original pit boss however due to my facial structure the bottom frame touched my cheeks ever so slightly - wish they fit I would have gotten a pair...

3. The current x-metal (badman/madman)
The build quality/durability. Only time will tell how the aluminum and O matter frame will last, as with those spring hinges. Wish they were built with more durable material such as titanium/alloy....

4. Medusa/OTT
Wish they made these still. By time they grew into me, they were long discontinued......dont want to pay the hefy asking prices of today

2 Big ones pop up right away for me:

QUALITY. The breadbox. Saw a few pics on here and then on the factory website....liked the jade lenses and the general look of the frame. Thought it could be a "Sport Holbrook" kind of thing for me. So I ordered a pair. Dear God they were trash. I hesitated to even put them on because they just made me say "What the F is this crap" out loud when I opened the box. I gave them to my nephew who is 20 and wears whatever he can find and he seemed to like them. Good for him.

TOOL. The Penny. I was utterly crushed when I put it on. The coverage was so obviously not going to work from looking through them to looking at them. I wanted them to fit and work so bad I even looked in the mirror and did that thing where you move your face by scrunching your nose and squinting to see if they'll look better...but no. Juliets fit and worked for me but I wanted Pennys to because there aren't too many of them that you see being worn.

There are a few more quality issues with modern pairs...not many because the new ones all seem to look the same lately and I tend to avoid them.

Latest Posts

Back