• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Are Your Biggest Oakley Disappointments?

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with you, @wrist. I am probably let down a bit more than usual. In the past I worked in a shop as underpaid stuff (Decathlon) and I was selling Rudy Project sunglasses. I kind of know what you mean. I was 25 but I was very passionate and learned all (by myself, no training) about Rudy and even went to visit them at the factory in Italy to meet them in person and strenghten my personal knowledge. It was 2002 so maybe those were other times. To me the fact that shop assistants care less and less is another sign not just of the times but of the fact the brand is falling apart.

Only point that caught me off guard is #6 : reading around I understood the only thing made in USA were the lenses and that even the frames would be made in China to then get all assembled in California. did I get it wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with you, @wrist.

Only point that caught me off guard is #6 : reading around I understood the only thing made in USA were the lenses and that even the frames would be made in China to then get all assembled in California. did I get it wrong?

When Oakley was first acquired they still made both omatter frames and lenses in Cali, but I could be wrong and it could have very well changed since then and now all frames are done overseas.

The biggest issue with employees right now, is retail as a whole is down. Save for a few brands like Apple and maybe Nike, everyone is suffering. No one is buying anything they don't need. A lot of people will blame online competitors like Amazon. Everyone wants a deal. A lot of people see time and time again customers walk in, look and try on the product, ask the associate questions, get "the experience" of in store, and then go home and buy online. This leads to less engaged and enthused employees, which leads to worse employee-customer interactions, which leads to unhappy customers. This is just my experience in retail. And it won't be the same everywhere.

But I do agree with you guys, usually most Oakley store employees are pretty clueless.

IIRC o-matter was made in USA and acetate in China. You don't see "Made in USA" on o-matter because there may be some small part, like rubber or screws, that were made in China or elsewhere and you can't legally label it Made in USA unless all the parts are made in USA.

Or at least that's what a HQ contact told me.

1. The original Romeos. Bear with me here for a sec...I adored them when they first came out but was bitterly disappointed because they looked totally ridiculous on me. But then the Juliet came along, my heart was mended and all was right with the world (or at least it was when I managed to snag a brand new pair for just under $170).

2. Eye Jackets, same as above but the original Fives and eventually the Minutes mended that fence for me.

3. The D3 powder blue watch - my first one of these turned a nasty, disgusting color somewhere between blue, brown and pond scum green. I have tried everything to clean it. I finally gave up and bought another one that had bad internals, but the band and case were still in good shape and swapped out.

Back