• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What are your favorite kind of lenses to drive with? Why?

DrtyHarry

Oakley Expert
I'm just curious what everyone's favorite type of lenses are to use while driving?

Say on a real SUNNY day. I'm saying that as I'm sure some some might pick a different lens for when driving in the rain, snow, a cloudy day...etc. So on a sunny day, what would you rather use and why?

For me...I think I am most fond of the polarized ruby iridium lenses. I have not tried all the PRIZM lenses, I did get to examine them in the store...just not on the road obviously. Next to the polar iridium ruby, I like the BIP and the ice iridium polar.

And as far as cosmetics go, next to the ruby (obviously 1st gen deep dark...not fRuby) I'd have to say I like the 24K polar iridium best. IMHO.

Bright: Sapphire/Ice/Jade/+Red
Cloudy: Fire Iridium

Fire Iridium is a crazy experience for me. From trying it on in the store, to negative feedback here, and generally being unable to make sense of a yellow tint + low LT% rating, these sounded like real stupid lenses and I avoided them for years. But coupon and general mindset of messing around made me try a set. To me it's "brighter conditions yellow". It caters to such a weird niche/specialty. I don't even know if Oakley had a real purpose to them, but they have curiously been offered in sports frames so I always wondered what good the tint could serve.

It's like someone designing shoes that overkill cushion for merely sitting, not ideal for walking, but somehow great for just standing.

Going to give the OO+ red iridium polar a try tomorrow and see if I like them enough to purchase a new Blade with that lens. If I like the Ruby better, I'll just stick with that. I really hope Oakley offers Blade replacement lenses....especially in the PRIZM line.

Totally situational, depending on the weather. The standby pair in the car have +red iridium, which meets most conditions I encounter driving in the UK.

Tungsten for all driving conditions...
This.
Nobody is looking at your lenses in the car, so "pretty" isn't a consideration.
Polarization is unnecessary as it interferes with my gauges, and with tinted windows, I don't need a darker lens like VR28Bi, or Bi.
I find the Tungsten is dark enough for a sunny interior, bright enough for an overcast day, and a soothing tint for my eyes on long drives.

Back