• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What are your favorite kind of lenses to drive with? Why?

I work as a driver. I literally spend more time driving than doing anything else and "safety is my profession". I deal with changing light conditions on a daily basis.

I have arrived at the ultimate rotation for the safest, most pleasurable driving possible. They are either M2 frame or Batwolf because of complete peripheral coverage (and I am basically partial to shield lens).

Prizm Daily is the ultimate driving lens, and probably the best sunglass lens period. It is remarkably soothing to the eyes. Since picking it up recently wear this one the most, sometimes I forget I have it on and I'm reluctant to take it off.

Tungsten iridium polarized is next, for the alternate tint and dealing with glare, but the particular tint allows for very precise vision.

Tungsten doesn't deal with extreme sunlight as well as VR28 BIP... however I have phased out BIP because even on sunny days, I will sometimes drive through the forest, BIP can actually be dangerous at times so the contrast VR28 lens is far preferable.

Prizm Trail should be called Prizm Rain honestly... it makes rainy days look so beautiful I like to put it on and feel superior to everyone.

So there ya have it from a guy who lives and breathes on the road.

Thanks...this was the real world life experience I was looking for, as well as the others who have chimed in. I just honestly felt the DPs were not strong enough. But...I have now have 3 blades, RUBY, BIP, ICE. If I was to get a fourth...and I really don't want to, I was going to go with +OO Red (I like the high gloss finish on the frame). But, I am hearing so many mixed reviews on the PD now. I saw a pair of new ICE lenses for the blade on eBay...but like a fool, I passed. They were only $30. If I see a DP lens for sale, I'll pick it up and swap it out with the BIP when needed. I have 3 Blades like I said, don't really want a 4th...but wouldn't mind getting lenses. Heck...I have over a dozen back up lenses for my Juliets, and another dozen Big Taco lenses waiting to be cut for my Pennys and Juliets as well.

So if I get another Blade...it will probably be the DP...even though I LOVE the +OO Red polar. Really pisses me off how we can't buy lenses. SUCKS!!!! They don't trust us? It's like how NJ doesn't let you pump your own gas...the attendant has to do it. Ugh...

Harry

I used to bike with Juliet w/ blue iridium polarized and for the car, the romeo w/ black iridium polarized, always polarized to remove glare and reflections from the sun

:smoke:

I used to bike with Juliet w/ blue iridium polarized and for the car, the romeo w/ black iridium polarized, always polarized to remove glare and reflections from the sun

:smoke:

Yeah...I found black and ice polar to be the darkest IMHO. I use them in my car and on my motorcycle. I will often use my Ruby polar iridium Blades now. But when I'm on my motorcycle, the best frame that fits under my helmet are the Square Wire 2.0. I have them in BIP, IIP, and GIP...I like the black and ice the best. The SW 2.0 frames really are the best for my motorcycle helmet because I can slightly bend the bridge of the frame a bit to get a super snug fit under my helmet...and this way, I don't have to concern myself with tinted visors and such. Dark or tinted visors are also illegal in some places...and they in no way provide the clarity that a lens from any pair of Oakley lenses can provide.

Bright: Sapphire/Ice/Jade/+Red
Cloudy: Fire Iridium

Fire Iridium is a crazy experience for me. From trying it on in the store, to negative feedback here, and generally being unable to make sense of a yellow tint + low LT% rating, these sounded like real stupid lenses and I avoided them for years. But coupon and general mindset of messing around made me try a set. To me it's "brighter conditions yellow". It caters to such a weird niche/specialty. I don't even know if Oakley had a real purpose to them, but they have curiously been offered in sports frames so I always wondered what good the tint could serve.

It's like someone designing shoes that overkill cushion for merely sitting, not ideal for walking, but somehow great for just standing.

It's funny you say this because my first pair of Juliets were Fire and I always kept them with me and loved to drive with them. Years later when they were so beat up I could barely see out of them, I went to an O store to get some replacements. I told them that I mostly used them for driving and loved the Fire for that and they showed me a chart that said Fire Iridium was the one pair of lenses they said should not be worn while driving. It seemed crazy to me because that is what I liked them for most. The contrast felt like it helped me see things better while driving and I always prefer a better Light trans %.

It's funny you say this because my first pair of Juliets were Fire and I always kept them with me and loved to drive with them. Years later when they were so beat up I could barely see out of them, I went to an O store to get some replacements. I told them that I mostly used them for driving and loved the Fire for that and they showed me a chart that said Fire Iridium was the one pair of lenses they said should not be worn while driving. It seemed crazy to me because that is what I liked them for most. The contrast felt like it helped me see things better while driving and I always prefer a better Light trans %.

It might be because Fire is more prone to ghosting on certain pairs. On my Jawbone it works just fine so I assume it really depends on how sealed or how tight the wrap of the frames are to block off light from behind/sides.

I work as a driver. I literally spend more time driving than doing anything else and "safety is my profession". I deal with changing light conditions on a daily basis.

I have arrived at the ultimate rotation for the safest, most pleasurable driving possible. They are either M2 frame or Batwolf because of complete peripheral coverage (and I am basically partial to shield lens).

Prizm Daily is the ultimate driving lens, and probably the best sunglass lens period. It is remarkably soothing to the eyes. Since picking it up recently wear this one the most, sometimes I forget I have it on and I'm reluctant to take it off.

Tungsten iridium polarized is next, for the alternate tint and dealing with glare, but the particular tint allows for very precise vision.

Tungsten doesn't deal with extreme sunlight as well as VR28 BIP... however I have phased out BIP because even on sunny days, I will sometimes drive through the forest, BIP can actually be dangerous at times so the contrast VR28 lens is far preferable.

Prizm Trail should be called Prizm Rain honestly... it makes rainy days look so beautiful I like to put it on and feel superior to everyone.

So there ya have it from a guy who lives and breathes on the road.
This post is gonna make me buy a Prizm Trail!

I already agree with you and use and love VR28 BIP, Prizm Daily, and Tungsten. I have others I love too though.

Back