1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. O-Skier

O-Skier Oakley Beginner

Hey guys. So I've been working in an O-Store for a few months now. It's not uncommon that we get sunglasses in where the lenses have a coating that peels an flakes off. We see it a lot in the Darts particularly.

Does anyone one know what causes this and why it's common in the darts? Even with non iridium lenses.

Thanks,

Looking forward to the answers.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Batwolf

Batwolf Double Team Premium Member

If you read the thread I made about lens cleaning, it explains how harsh elements can destroy lenses.

http://www.oakleyforum.com/oakley-s...3-how-properly-clean-your-oakley-glasses.html

And in regards to the Darts many of Oakley's gradient lenses are actually dipped, rather than injected and overtime the elements will eventually cause it to peel. I honestly don't know why Oakley still manufacturers gradient lenses. They've had these problems for years.

3. O-Skier

O-Skier Oakley Beginner

Thanks Batwolf. I saw the title of that thread and skipped over it. Will read now.

I thought that may have been the case but couldn't find and official info on manufacturing gradient lenses.

4. Teetogreen

Teetogreen Oakley Collector

Great info. Thanks

5. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

Skin oils eat the anti-reflective coating on the back side of the lens.

6. Batwolf

Batwolf Double Team Premium Member

Clean your lenses once a week!

7. Uluahunter

Uluahunter Oakley Collector

I had a pair of Half Jacket lenses that I never used for years, had them stored in my drawer in a microbag. They were VR28 polarized and brand spankin' new. I finally decided to pop them in and go fishing one day...after only 3-4 hours out, they started to peel. Came home and throughly cleaned my frames and lenses with warm water and mild soap, the lenses were so bad it was unbelievable. I couldn't believe that after years of sitting untouched in my drawer, the coating totally failed after the first use. Now I know better...

8. Addicted2Oakley

Addicted2Oakley Oakley Beginner

Had a pair of grey gascans polarized that flaked also. Took them in to headquarters since I only had them a few months and they were exchanged out for free

9. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

i never store my oakleys dirty. always clean em before a long storage, an clean em regulary when in use anyway. for your dailies, just take em into the shower with you, soap it up and rinse em, easy done

10. Yeti

Yeti Frostmonkey Staff Member Premium Member

Haha o-bsession has been taken to a new and kinky level!

Seriously though, that's a good idea.