• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Defines An X-metal?

Any sand type mold where you are pouring liquid metal into it, the mold get destroyed each time. There are master molds for the production molds.

I dont know, considering some of the automotive castings now days. Just to be clear I called it a sand casting but I meant sand type, not necessarily actual sand. I guess it could be a sand hybrid of sorts to handle the temperatures.

The molds of many cast metal pieces are destroyed in the process, then recycled into new molds. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is true. Also, while marketing can be full of things stretching the truth, why would they have such specifics to their lies? I believe it all - also heard a story about an explosion at the X-Metal plant which consisted of a forklift getting blown horizontally through two walls. Why not? It just makes me love them that much more...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

in the video they say the cast is ceramic, i also heard ceramic from someone at the o store.
it also states 3 weeks for one pair start to finish, that's just insane. no wonder lux is changing the format.

The molds of many cast metal pieces are destroyed in the process, then recycled into new molds. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is true.

Very much depends on the material being cast and the mold material. You can fire aluminum and pour it into the same steel mold a ton of times, but trying to get a permanent mold for something like titanium alloy is going to be a bitch.

x-metal is made using investment casting.

Between the tree coming out of the furnace intact and the quick shot of the guy beating the rough tree with a hammer I figured it was something similar.

in the video they say the cast is ceramic, i also heard ceramic from someone at the o store.
it also states 3 weeks for one pair start to finish, that's just insane. no wonder lux is changing the format.

Investment casting uses wax forms to create a ceramic mold shell, kind of like a custom crucible mold. They melt out the wax and pour in titanium and beat the piss out of it to break off the ceramic. Which is why they say the mold is destroyed every time.

Investment casting uses wax forms to create a ceramic mold shell, kind of like a custom crucible mold. They melt out the wax and pour in titanium and beat the piss out of it to break off the ceramic. Which is why they say the mold is destroyed every time.

now i know, and knowing is half the battle.

Back