• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Did You Do With Your Broken Virgin Serilium Frames And Stems?

GSP_87

Oakley Beginner
I have a broken New Frogskin (from many years ago) and broken polarized Straight Jacket. The New Frogskin looks really nice, but the frame at the hinge and the stem cracked.

Has anyone ever wanted to fix their Oakleys by 3D scanning the frame and stems then 3D printing replacement parts out of some plastic that's stronger and more flexible or even somehow making a mold to make your own plastic parts?

I really liked the look and fit of the New Frogskin. If I tried to Crazy Glue the cracks, I suspect it'd crack again somewhere else or the dried Crazy Glue might break off and get into my eyes.

Has Oakley ever offered on demand 3D printing of replacement parts using some plastic better than virgin serilium?

This forum has a do it yourself/modding section, but I've never ever seen anyone talk about 3D printing replacement parts for broken frames.

Buy a new pair.

There are members that can do 3D printing, not so sure about their solid modeling or scanning capabilities to reproduce anything but the old 80's square frames.

Buy a new pair.

There are members that can do 3D printing, not so sure about their solid modeling or scanning capabilities to reproduce anything but the old 80's square frames.

I don't think they sell the old New Frogskin anymore, and a used pair would be just as brittle as my original pair. The polarized Pit Bull is my main pair, but the New Frogskin looks and fits nicely. Seems like a waste since the lenses are still good.

I just found this InstaMorph moldable plastic that's $16.99 a jar from Amazon. If I knew how to make a mold of the stems and frame, I'd attempt it.

I don't think they sell the old New Frogskin anymore, and a used pair would be just as brittle as my original pair. The polarized Pit Bull is my main pair, but the New Frogskin looks and fits nicely. Seems like a waste since the lenses are still good.

I just found this InstaMorph moldable plastic that's $16.99 a jar from Amazon. If I knew how to make a mold of the stems and frame, I'd attempt it.

The hard part is modeling the frame.

You could mold it, sure, but you won't get far with mold putty.

May be time to buy a rimless frame set from the web and rebuild around the lenses you like. Silhouette and Maui Jim are brands whose rimless I like and can be found online.

EDIT- I prefer when folks suggest something, they include an actual link. So, I better do the thing I like....

AND

Last edited:
Back