• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Do You Think When

I love when people wear the more rarified glasses. There was a guy that came into the coffee shop I work at with a C-6. It definitely sprung quite a conversation, and he was a genuinely nice person. Most that I see here in town are just like gascans, oilrigs, and more gascans. It's rare to see anyone wear the "nice" stuff or at least custom pieces here. Now as for the Oakley stickers on cars.... I really hate most of them. They are typically put on by people who have subs in their car (worth more than the car) and a pair of white Oaks that they treat like crap. At least that is what it is like here in Wyoming.

No one here really notices what I wear though. And if they do, they just think I spent too much money on them. I have only met one person that has the same sort of obsession that I have here. I need to get him on here soon. :wink:

juliets dont count anymore to be honest. every other rich guy knows about them now- i see more than 5 a day if im out and around town. 80% of the time its plasma ice. the other 20 is a split between xmetal or carbon with black iridium. the odd ducati red socks at times.

they've become mainstream. everyone knows the xmen and blackhawkdown ties..and considerig what they retail for here (only secondary retailers.. no o-store in Singapore) its more of a wanky status symbol than any form of appreciation anymore.

i've hardly worn my juliets since 2 months back.. switched to the romeo. i rather wear something that less people know what it is- and only the true collectors recognise.

i just think that there are a lot of people who recognize the brand and not only me. because you see here in my place, the arabs prefer the aviator type of glasses (raybans, gucci, etc). when i see someone wearing oakley i tend to talk to the person and also promote the OF. most of them are military personnel working here in the US base in qatar.

Usually when I see an O sticker on a car, it's a big lifted truck. Most of the time I think, "what a douchebag!," but then I realized I also have a sticker on my truck but it's just a single cab Toyota Pickup. I've had a few people make comments on my glasses but nothing like, "OMFG those are sick!," just the occasional girl saying my glasses were cool. But most of the time I'm fully decked out in Oakley whether it's clothes, glasses, or my backpack. Still waiting for someone to notice that I have the pack from Book of Eli. :lol:

The funniest reaction I had was when I had my OTT's, I was in a drive-thru and the guy in the car behind me yelled out of his window asking me what glasses they were. Then the girl at the window proceeded to trip while giving me my food because she couldn't stop starting. Good times.

I work in law enforcement so most guys I work with wear Oakley glasses. Mostly Flaks, Half Jackets, Gascans, Fives, Fuel Cells. Most have the SI stuff so a lot of black. I change it up every once in a while and wear my black Fatcats, or my Dark Carbon Mag Switches. Most of the Cops in the area where I live wear Oakleys as there duty glasses.

i work in ems/fire service i see a wide range of oakleys,not really the rare ones mostly ones you would not cry if you hurt them in some way,or god forbid lose them.
as for the stickers on cars i dont really think much of the stickers, but the icons are a different story i really do not see to many of the si icons i have one on each of my cars and honestly i dont think i have seen another one ever. and i have seen some cool custom ones out there.

You guys make a good point, there are many people out there (service men/women) that use the glasses for duty use and do not care about rarity/collect-ability but rather the safety/performance aspect of it.

In that aspect they really aren't any different than us because they love and appreciate the product but might not necessarily be at the same level of collecting as we are. There are many people I've seen out there with watches, bags, gloves and the occasional apparel but just have regular Fives or Gascans on. They still love the product but they enjoy the entire range of products. I honestly think there are more sunglasses collectors here than anything but it's nice to see people that collect bags, watches and such because it shows the range of Oakley as a company.

Most of the time when i drive behind a guy with an O sticker i wonder if it is someone on here and then look at the driver it is usually just some dude wearing normal gascans or just a regular lowerend/cmmon pair of oakleys never a limited pair or anything. Then my thought goes out the window. The only few times i have seen a less common pair of oakleys on someone was wearing a pair of C100's at the gun range and when i saw someone wearing a pair of Mar's at a high end shopping center around here.

I have only been asked 2 times about my oakleys and that was when i was wearing my Splices w/ Emerald one time and also when i was wearing my X Squareds w/ Fire.

My first reaction is to get excited when I see an Oakley sticker on a car. I assume they are serious Oakley fans, but I think many people these days see Oakley as just "cool" and "trendy". They saw lil Jon with Oil Drums on and now they need a pair. I was walking my dog and came upon another man walking his dog and as we stopped to let the dogs sniff each other. I noticed he was wearing Pit Boss's. So I said to him "wow Pit Boss's...beautiful glasses". He didn't know what I was talking about. $750 for sunglasses and he didn't know what they were called. Or maybe he just didn't care to talk to me and wasn't listening.

I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen with X-Metals out and about. One guy had a pair of Plasma/Fire Juliets standing in line at Panda Express. Refused to take em off inside. Second I saw was a pair of Half-X on someone at the zoo. Third was also at the zoo on another trip - I came out of an indoor area as another guy was coming in with his girlfriend/wife and we both did a double take as we both had Carbon/Ice Juliets on our heads. My reaction was tempered when he looked at me again and uttered 'the f*** are you looking at'. I like seeing Metals in the wild, but the some of the people that wear them seem to be colossal douches.

I do have the X-Metal Icon in my rear window on my VW. Makes a nice contrast to all the Spy and other eyewear logos I see.

Back