• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What exactly does the 00 mean?

Oaks 'Between The Hedges'

The OF Boogeyman 👹
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
I just ordered a pair of straight jackets with 00 red iridium polarized lenses and am curious what exactly does the 00 mean? I looked on Oakley website at the lens tints and the 00 red iridium polarized looks to be more neutral, which is what I prefer. But how is the 00 different than regular iridium polarized lenses? I have the Ferrari Canteens with ruby iridium polarized lenses, how would they compare to them?

OO is a relatively subtle contrast base. Ruby iridium is nominally neutral, although it does give a blue cast. OO red externally is variably red/purple and you will see a pinkish tone when looking through them.

Who knows exactly what it's supposed to mean, just a marketing term someone came up with...

The OO series of lenses have a G base lens, G40 I think, as opposed to the standard lens base. +Red Iridium normally has a grey base lens and Ruby has a blue base lens.

This is from Oakley:

What is Oakley OO?
You already know that Oakley Polarized delivers true neutral color recognition that sets the gold standard for HDO. But what you may not know is that the glare control and clarity of Polarized can be supplemented with color contrasting technology that enhances HDO in certain environments. We call this new Oakley innovation Oakley OO

I remember reading that OO polarization helps being able to see LCD screens. When wearing standard polarized lenses they can interfere with LCD screens and the OO base is supposed to help the wearer read LCD screens better. Along with the benefit of a contrast base.

This is an interesting post. I have a pair of frogs with positive red and a pair of Flaks with 00 red. Both polarized and they look different but not really sure of why.

+red is a neutral base, OO red is contrast. The iridium layer is variable for both, so externally they might look identical or they might not. You'll always have the different base when looking through them.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll post my thoughts on them when I get them. I have several pairs of Oakley, all are polarized and most are iridium but I think they are all neutral based lenses. I'm very intrigued to see what these 00 red iridium polarized lenses are going to look like.

I'll post up some pics of the different lenses when I get em. I'll post some pics looking through the lenses.

Most of the info here is correct. To summarize and clarify:

- OO is just a marketing term. I've researched in the past if it stood for anything and if it does, it's a secret...

- The OO lenses have a G40 base, which is a rose-ish contrast tint.

- OO red and + red use the same or similar iridium coatings, otherwise differing with G40 contrast base tint vs. neutral gray base tint. But, as mentioned, that particular iridium coating is one of those that shows a lot of variation from batch to batch. People typically consider + red the more purplish and OO red the more reddish, but mine are the opposite - I have a set of + red that's really red while my OO reds are pretty much all purple.

- The actual polarization layer in OO red is the same stuff in the same orientation as all other Oakley polars. A polar filter can be oriented to filter light from any particular orientation; Oakley's are oriented to block light reflected from below i.e. the ground, water, car hoods, etc to best reduce glare. LCDs are also polarized, and sometimes if the two line up it can partially or completely block view of the screen. But changing the polar orientation of the lenses would hurt their effectiveness reducing glare. Instead, LCD screens that are easier to view through polar lenses are ones that have had their polar orientation set differently.

Hope you enjoy them!

Back