• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Is Happening To My Lenses?

music_man185

Oakley Beginner
I just looked at my flak jacket lenses closely while cleaning them and noticed a small dotted line going around the bottom and up the nose piece of both lenses. It seems to be on the inside rather than the outside. I looked at my half jackets and saw the same thing. The half jackets don't seem quite as noticeable as the flaks. I didn't notice anything on my gascans or straight jackets. I tried to take a picture, but it is very hard to capture. If this is the iridium coating peeling, I honestly think I am done with oakleys. I have never put anything on these lenses other than the Oakley cleaning spray. Never even use my shirt to wipe them down, only microfiber cleaning clothes.
IMG_20150516_184208.jpg

Happens when you don't take care of them properly.
This might sound a bit accusatory the way Ecko worded it. I have lenses with years of use that look about like yours. The oils in your skin and the salt in your sweat are the biggest culprits. So on sports frames, especially hard-use pairs that see a lot of sweat, it's not all that uncommon.

Being "done with Oakley" is a bit of a leap, in my mind. The lenses, albeit the soul of the glasses, are also more of a wear item. Oakley doesn't have tough lenses, but they're some of the best that balance high quality optics with strength and impact resistance.

You can get clearer lenses, but they generally won't be Z87 impact rated. If they are you generally will pay more for them.

Also kinda looks like the rubber pieces are in similar shape as well on this pair. You can try boiling them as others have done on here. I have not personally tried this yet though.

They do look quite worn nothing stays perfect forever. So to be done with Oakley because the product has served you well but over time has worn like ALL products from ALL manufactures do is unresonable.

The reason for saying that I am done with Oakley is because I take very good care of all my oakleys. I have 4 pairs, which isn't a lot compared to most of you guys, but I wear them all. They are not for collection. As I said in my first post, my half jackets look the same way. They are probably 5 years old at the most. And I don't even wear these everyday. My straight jackets are my daily drivers. Halfs and flaks are more on the weekends. Oakley sunglasses are not cheap. I personally can't afford to spend $100+ on a pair of sunglasses, just to have to spend $80 on a new pair of lenses every couple years, and then, be forced to take such delicate care of them at the same time. I'm relatively new to oakleys compared to a lot of members here, and this isn't the first time I've had lens issues. I posted on here a couple years ago about my straight jackets. The iridium coating began fading. It wasn't peeling like these are. This was on the center of the outside of the lens, where no skin oils would ever come in contact with it. Again, never used anything but Oakley cleaning spray to clean them. Luckily, I was just inside the warranty period, so it was fixed for free. Still, the fact remains that durability is severely lacking for the price.

I think QC is also a thing.

All my lenses the past 3 years have been fine as cycling pairs....except for two. A TenX that peeled like yours. I didn't abuse that one or anything. Cleaned it regularly too. And then my M2 is being so weird. Like some kind of oil really doesn't want to come off the Iridium. I literally took the damn thing to the shower too, to see if it'd ever come off..

My +Red Jawbone lenses have gotten the most regular use. Those are actually fine, save for minor scratches from actual impacts.

QC may possibly be a problem too. I just feel that for the amount of money oakleys cost, they should be much more durable and last a lot longer. I'm not trying to bash or be a hater. I've been a member of this forum for years. I have 4 pairs of sunglasses, a pair of half shock prescription glasses and bought my girlfriend a pair for Christmas a couple years ago. My half jackets that are peeling were custom and cost $180. Now, only 5 years later, it's going to cost another $100 just to fix them. When I wear my oakleys out, I'm constantly worried about where I'm going to put them or what I'm going to do with them when I take them off. It would be much easier to buy a cheap $20 pair and throw them around and not worry about them. They may not be as clear or fit as good, but at least I can wear them carefree and will probably still last longer.

Back