• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Is Happening To My Lenses?

Its a Shame you are willing to give up on Oakley's
But wait till you see the performance of other manufactures.

I think you will be disappointed to say the least.

Oh and get to the doctor, You may have some acid in your sweat ;)

If you can't afford to spend "80 bucks every couple of years" for new lenses which is about 11 cents a day, then maybe another brand will work better for you.

It's not only the fact that I can't afford it, it's the fact that I shouldn't have to. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that for $180, a pair of sunglasses should last longer than a couple years. Especially when they are not worn every day. Maybe once or twice a week.

It's not only the fact that I can't afford it, it's the fact that I shouldn't have to. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that for $180, a pair of sunglasses should last longer than a couple years. Especially when they are not worn every day. Maybe once or twice a week.

Thats a fair assessment
Were all of the glasses purchased at the same time ? Or staggered over the years
Were they all purchased at the same location?
Im wondering what the common denominator is
I have lens that are 10 years old and only worn like you say 1 or 2 times a week, they still look like new
There is something else contributing to the issue

We need more facts to get to the bottom

Also, consider hair product as it can be detrimental to lenses as well.

All of the glasses were purchased from different places over the course of a year or 2. My first set of oakleys were the custom half jackets, and after that, I was hooked. So I went on a buying spree, getting the flaks, straight jackets and gas cans. I also got a pair of monster pups and a used set of penny's, but sold them.

Last edited:
I can happily say that I am also stopping my purchasing for a long time, I have 23 pairs only had problem with one iridium and returned it.
I now will only purchase older made in USA oakleys if I see a good deal. I have a pair of each color. I am happy with what I have and satisfied. The made in china really helps my decision to quit buying. Luxotica also helps me quit buying.

And yes iridium coatings are embarrassingly sensitive.

Last edited:
Also, consider hair product as it can be detrimental to lenses as well.
Very good point, Prettyboys!

I've a pair of Gen. A wire GiP that have a similar issue around the periphery of each lens. It absolutely doesn't affect my vision, and the pair are favourites. Replacing with OEM lenses is well beyond a three-day weekend's worth of beer...
I expect old lenses to have their issues, but "new"; that's un-nerving...

Latest Posts

Back